RAID '0' performance failure...

Started by choronr, January 03, 2009, 03:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

It has demonstrated that any time I work on a project, especially after I've added most elements to the scene and perform the final tweaking, my mirror drive receives an error message: RAID Access Failure - Access failure: Critical error on disc WDC WD 1500AHFD-00RAR1 (port: SATA 3.1). At boot prompt, it displays, flashing in red font: 0 Degraded Nvidia mirror; 1 Degraded Nvidia mirror.

I've exhausted my resources trying to resolve this issue. Contacted many sources for resolution. I have now 'rebuilt' the mirror drive several times; and, after working in TG2, eventually the same thing happens. Both drives check 'healthy'. Yesterday, a different message appeared: RAID Mirror drive removed. I went back into my Nvidia Control Panel and it stated that the two drives are healthy; status 'degraded'. Now, my Nvidia Control Panel doesn't give a 'rebuild' option!

Anyone out there who can shed some light on this issue? My drivers are up to date. Running 'chkdsk' does not show any problem. I have a query out to EVGA (my motherboard) regarding the Nvidia SLI controller - after more than a week, they haven't answered.

I'm stumped.

Bob

buzzzzz1

Hi Bob,

Maybe just a shot in the dark but, could it be just a loose SATA cable or a loose power cable to one of your disks?  A loose connection could possibly give intermittent problems. Pop the side off, ground yourself with a wrist strap if you have one, and check all your cables. That's the first thing I would check. Other than that I'm lost.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

choronr

Hi Jay,

Sorry for a late reply; been gone since I posted the thread. Thanks for the reply. Earlier, about five weeks ago, my power supply died. I went over each of the hard drives wiring when replacing the BFG power supply with an ANTEC. All looked well and tested ok with the PS and its wiring. Each of the drives passed the diagnostics test as well. All ran well for a few weeks; then, the RAID warnings started again when doing some intense work on a TG2 image. I suspect that it is the Nvidia SLI controller on the EVGA mobo. Shot them an e-mail more than a week ago; but. no reply as of yet. Then, I explored their site a bit further and found a driver file that might fix it ...don't know for sure. I'm going to call these guys on Monday.

For me, TG2 is going well; a lot of stuff to learn; and, thankful I still have a 'C' drive that's running.

Bob

choronr

Well, the final word is that the mirror drive has bad sectors. Tomorrow it will be back to Western Digital for a replacement. I have decided to configure the replacement drive (formerly mirror drive) as a backup drive and forget about the RAID setup. Now, at a time when TG2 is better than ever, I've got to make sure this beast keeps running.

scott8933

In addition for a dying power supply, you might check a problem that had me bashing my head for days - a low and almost dead CMOS battery. It will play havoc with your machine and be damn near the last thing you might think of when diagnosing problems.

moodflow

There is a chance it could be those drives.  I just had the exact same (or similar) drive crash my system, yet again.

Ended up buying a whole new Core i7 rig as a result.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music