Cumulonimbus Distant Shot - Update 2

Started by FrankB, January 05, 2009, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi there,

a WIP based on my cumulus pack. I'm pretty satisfied already, but have to continue to work on the main cloud primarily.
By the way, this photograph was the inspiration for the scene: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Anvil_shaped_cumulus_panorama_edit.jpg

... not yet quite spot on for 100% realism, but getting there ;-)

Cheers,
Frank

nvseal

This is looking good. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Great sense of scale here too.

Seth

matte painting looking ^^
very impressive WIP !

PorcupineFloyd

This is very good. I especially like how sharpness plays with softness in this image. Really cool :)

Saurav

Good replication of the photograph, it's a great start and I like where it's heading. I'm jealous of your new "thunderbolt" computer. ;D

Mr_Lamppost

Great start and with a computer like that it will be there in no time.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Zylot

schmeerlap

Inspirational indeed. Cloud wizardry.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

choronr

I'm awestruck ...You've opened a new plateau in TG2!

Tangled-Universe

Awesome work, keep'm coming :)

Martin

buzzzzz1

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

rcallicotte

If I might add my uneducated 2ยข worth, the light distribution is about all you lack, Frank.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bobbystahr

colour me green...i envy your machine...fabulous work here and it looks like I might just be able to afford you've kept it so reasonable...keep up the great work.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

FrankB

Thank you guys!!!

Here's an update. I figured out the secret for the correct lighting now, and for mixing soft and rough parts. Although in this particular render, I haven't noticed it was over exposed, so I had to consult good old openexr to rescue a little bit. Next iteration on this channel, soon.

Frank

nvseal

Wow, this is perfect. How in the world did you get this lighting? Finish up that ground work and this should be one of the most incredible CG images I've ever seen.