Art Institute of Cali-SF

Started by Dimag91, January 06, 2009, 10:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimag91

Hi, I recently got accepted to the Art Institute of Cali- San Fran, I start in July, is anyone else going there or went there before? Seems like a nice place, I've already taken a tour, anybody got any insight on the school though? Thanx

C.A.C.

I've heard of it but other then that i know nothing else about that school.

I am trying to attend the Academy of Arts in the same area but i have to wait this out until California's budget crisis settles down because i have no credit that is required to take out grants and loans.   :(

Dimag91

yeah, thankfullly i have my parents who have credit, unthankfully the tuition is ~$23,000 a year, for 4 years. so i have to start day trading, options and such, or otherwise i dont see myself paying that much...

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dimag91 on January 07, 2009, 02:46:27 AM
yeah, thankfullly i have my parents who have credit, unthankfully the tuition is ~$23,000 a year, for 4 years. so i have to start day trading, options and such, or otherwise i dont see myself paying that much...

Holy .... that's a LOT of money, $23,000- a year!
I think Dutch people like me have to consider ourselves lucky, because a lot of tuition is credited by the government. In the end you'll have to pay around $1600 a year exclusive books etc.
There are also some private universities here, especially for CG/art etc. and as far as I know that costs around $12000 a year.

Martin

rcallicotte

TU, I didn't know you are Dutch.  Cool.

About your funding from the Dutch government - what sort of things would someone like an ordinary citizen need to do to get this assistance?  I wish America would do something similar.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 07, 2009, 03:12:11 AM
Quote from: Dimag91 on January 07, 2009, 02:46:27 AM

Holy .... that's a LOT of money, $23,000- a year!

My school is currently at $48,000 a year. It will probably break $50,000 before I leave.

Thank you, federal, state, and local governments, for spending our money on things that get people killed instead of things that help our future ::).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Yeah, exactly.  What sort of genius does it take to destroy everything in our sites?

Quote from: old_blaggard on January 07, 2009, 09:08:35 AM
...Thank you, federal, state, and local governments, for spending our money on things that get people killed instead of things that help our future ::).
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

48 000 $ ?! oO
goddamn !!! i am happy to live in France when i read this ^^
our public universities cost something like 250$... and even private school don't cost that much :)

C.A.C.

Makes me wish i could move to France for a while.

Academy of Arts is not cheep either.  ::)  It's one of the best but still i wish the US put more emphasis into serious education, science, keeping jobs here and teaching children how to tinker and build things. Education should be available to anyone who wants to take there talents and expand on them as a career. It's sad that i happen to fall in the bad circumstances that i am in. Hopefully another opportunity will present itself.

efflux

When I went to college almost all was paid for by government. They had just brought in student loans but at that stage I only ended up owing a few £100. This was in the days when fewer people did degrees not the ludicrous 50% UK target. It was more difficult to get a degree and it was worth more. Now higher education is a business and now that money is tighter fewer people will go to college and the colleges will have less money. A downward spiral. Countries with privatized education or education for the rich have poor standards. When I was at college we had people from colleges in other countries spend terms with us. Their work was often poor in comparison. I doubt that will be the case now but that's what you get when you have governments run by bankers. The gamblers get billions in bailouts but a talented poor person can't even get an education. Calling these bailouts "stimulus" is an absolute sick joke.

C.A.C.