How to add populations (trees and grass)

Started by TruDesigns, January 08, 2009, 10:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruDesigns

Hello all,
I was wondering if there was a tutorial other than meltingice's (website seems to be down) that explains how to add vegetation to terragen 2?  I've looked all over the Internet but it is very hard to find a tutorial on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NickTEve

I have just posted a very similar question. It is odd how little there is out there.

About the only thing I came accross is a PDF called "Basic Scene Construction with Object & Image usage" by Gary Poole, but I now can't find the website for it. It certainly helped a bit, but I am still having problems, hence my own posting. I'll keep looking and will let you have the link if I find it, or could email it direct.

Nick

TruDesigns

Thanks Nick. I'm lookilng forward to any info you can provide.

arisdemos

TruDesigns: It is important to understand that all instructive information related to TG2 is stored throughout (mainly) this site in a manner that relates to the convenience and will of the available learned providers/users, and this group is very arbitrary as to when, how, and to who they provide instruction. There is a great deal of instruction that has been provided and is still being given publicly and privately, but that data must be sometimes (how should I say this?) ....intelligently hunted/stalked. sometime one should look for just who can receive, rather than who will give. Looking for formal tutorials will yield limited results from a conditionally formitive forum that operates mostly helter skelter, still in this haystack lies the tiny needles threading together most of the instructional data available. Good luck!

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Adding populations is quite simple. Just go to the Objects layout panel at the top, click the Add Object button, go to the Population sub-menu, then choose the object type you're trying to load (probably TGO or OBJ). You will then get a file dialog, from which you should navigate to the location of your object and select it. It will start out with some default settings that will give you a basic group of objects populated on the terrain. Trying a render right away should get you an acceptable first-try result. Populating will be a part of the render process. When doing specific adjustment of the population settings, you can also manually repopulate and use visible instances to see the effect of your changes.

Just post again if you have additional questions.

- Oshyan

FrankB

Quote from: arisdemos on January 09, 2009, 11:40:40 AM
...all instructive information related to TG2 is stored throughout (mainly) this site in a manner that relates to the convenience and will of the available learned providers/users.... ... sometime one should look for just who can receive, rather than who will give....  limited results from a conditionally formitive forum that operates mostly helter skelter...

Excuse me... what the heck are you talking about?  ;D ;D ;D ... seriously, I just can't get the heart of what you would like to say.

Mohawk20

He probably means the info shared here should be better categorized with the receiver in mind, instead of the people posting it.
There is more info here than can be found within a reasonable amount of effort.

Honestly, we are trying though. Just check out the sticky threads on top for example...
Howgh!

Marcos Silveira

arisdemos

Hi FrankB: While attempting to be subtle and I am instructing TruDesigns on a tg2 site twist to the question of just "how? do you Catch a monkey" so to speak. If Mohamet cannot go to the mountain then he must make the mountain come to him, and you can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar and all that rot. 

Seriously though I am really only telling any new comer to this site to perhaps (in a pinch)consider the silly inside psychology of anyone who you must depend upon for instructive data. If the donor does not choose for whatever reason to give you what you want/need, then you must ask the question!, who? might or (more importantly) has the hypothetical holder of important knowledge given their attention/information to. This may all be rubbish, but it does work (sometimes) for me. I realize that we would all like to think this forum is a model of democracy, freedom and equality, but in truth there is always a complex group of negative as well as positive human factors here and in every facet of our worldwide internet community of strangers. We sometimes learn the best lessons from those instructors who like us least. I believe like the Spartans of old that all God's children must know how to steal the fox, and not get caught as he eats your belly.

Oshyan

I think the real problem is much of this knowledge develops and is conveyed through ongoing forum discussions. It would have to be somebody's job (or passion) to collate and organize all that discussion, and it's no small task. At this point searching through the forums works fairly well if you know what you want though. Once final, official documentation is available that should help. We also hope to implement a Wiki in the future, which might be a better place to have a more organized but still group-controlled information source.

- Oshyan