Alpine Fractal (Updated again)

Started by Hannes, January 10, 2009, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Oh, very good, Hannes.  This reminds me of the movie "Cliffhanger".   8)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Ah that has improved already.

I don't see why you have changed the smallest scale value to 0.0001. First of all: this scale isn't noticable at all. It is 0,1 millimetre. That's exactly about the lower-limit of human vision. Second: the most probable reason that you don't see much small scale features is because the lack of noise variation, buoyancy from variation combined with the roughness of the fractal. These settings are quite heavily inter-related as you might know already. You'll see that it won't be necessary to have such small scale features and thus will have a lower octave density fractal which probably render faster.

I think the scales are much better now by the way. You still might consider my suggestion for the lighting.
The terrain is just excellent, don't touch it! Please :)

Martin

Hannes

OK, the main thing is... I didn't touch the mountains. ;D

Here's my final update:

I played with the roughness value in the density settings which produced a lot more details. Additionally I tried your suggestions, TU, and it really helped a lot. Thank you all.
I'm going to explore the Smallest Scale settings. I think there WAS a difference even if it doesn't seem logical, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll see, I will let you know.

Tangled-Universe

Cool to see it worked out quite good :)
I'd also consider it finished, it's great!

So, now...did you do anything special to the alpine fractal? My honest guess is not that much, but it just looks very good.

Martin

Volker Harun

Very good - overall ... I am glad that TU's hints did help.
The smallest scale and roughness go hand in hand ... a roughness of 0 will ignore the smallest scale. The higher the roughness settings the more of the smallest scale shows up.

Hannes

Good to know, Volker. I learned a lot during the last days.
The alpine fractal shader is not modified but I added another fractal shader and a strata and outcrops shader with a distribution shader (coverage 0.25) as blend shader that has a power fractal shader as fractal breakup shader.

...seven times the word shader...

In the effects tab of the snow layer I checked "intersect underlying" with favour depressions.

efflux

Cool mountains and clouds are much improved in the later version.

Saurav

Clouds are much improved in the latest version.

moodflow

Still looking great.  One suggestion for the clouds would be to drop the density a bit and actually increase the edge sharpness (at least to see what happens).  I've found this helps my clouds when they have a similar "bubble bath" look.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

FrankB

a shame, I can't see the image in full because imageshack won't respond to my knocking.
Hannes, the thumbnail is looking really cool, but why not upload it here, directly at the forum?

Thanks,
Frank

Hannes

Hi Frank, like this, or what do you mean?

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1681/alpinefractal09tueditmesc0.jpg

Moodflow, I'll try!!

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Quote from: Hannes on January 15, 2009, 06:47:53 PM
Hi Frank, like this, or what do you mean?

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1681/alpinefractal09tueditmesc0.jpg

Moodflow, I'll try!!

Hi Hannes, well imageshack is not only very slow at times, sometimes it doesn't even load the image (timeout) or blank pages.

Instead, if you make a post, scroll down a bit and you'll see an link called "Additional Options...". If you click that, an area expands and you can select to upload an image *directly into this forum*. Easy to use :-)

Cheers,
Frank

PS: imageshack apparently was working today. I have seen this image now, it very well done. The only recommendation I would have is to try to reduce the tiny white spots. Having some is ok, but I believe that these are a few too many ;-)
A matter of taste, probably.

Hannes

Thanks Frank,
it's always good to learn something new :-[
Imageshack is really a pain in the lower part of my body sometimes.