Alpine Fractal (Updated again)

Started by Hannes, January 10, 2009, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Nothing special. I just wanted to create some alpine picture. I used some of Luc's cloudsettings.

Seth

the clouds look strange (scale problem ?)

Hannes

What do you mean, too big or too small?

Seth

i am not really sure, but here is where i think the clouds are strange.
they don't look right, transparancy looks weird in this part and the clouds seem very artificial , with less details...
whereas everywhere else they look like shampoo lather ^^

PG

Yeah I see it. I think they're too big for the scene. As if they should be over a flatter terrain. Hard to explain really. Umm... ok, like you've created the clouds and then created the terrain to fit them, instead of the other way around.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Seth

thanks PG ! sometimes i really wish my english to be better so i can figure out how to explain things to people ^^

rcallicotte

Nothing special, hah!  That mountain range is well done.  Clouds are about believable.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Clouds should have the edge sharpness decreased I think...
Howgh!

Hannes

Thank you all. I'll try decreasing edge sharpness.

moodflow

I really like that mountain.  Its one of the best I've seen so far in TG2.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Seth

Volker Harun

I agree with Moodflow.
I do like the clouds' appearance ... I guess that you could swap the values for edge sharpness and density. And maybe divide the value of edge sharpness by 2 could solve this.

Tangled-Universe

Rather than most people I think you should keep the edge sharpness untouched.

If you reduce the density of the cloud and reduce the fake internal scattering and/or light propagation you'll end up with more transparent clouds with more gradients in color and density which will give a more natural look.
I agree with Michael (PG) about the scale, I'd reduce it by a factor 2 or so.

(The reason you have to reduce the fake internal scattering and/or light propagation (depends on the mix setting which of the 2 to adjust the most) is that when you lower the cloud density the effect of glow power will look stronger (sort of independently from the actual glow power setting).)

I hope this helps, but it will probably confuse you even more :)

Martin

Hannes

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions!
First I'd like to show you an updated version which I started to render before I read the suggestions by Seth and Volker.
I tried decreasing the edge sharpness alone which did not help very much. Then I changed the noise flavour from Perlin billows to Perlin mix 2 and reduced the scale by 2 (I knew you would suggest this :))
The main thing was to decrease the smallest scale to 0.0001. Here's what I got so far. I like the clouds in the background. They are pretty detailed but in the foreground they still look a bit like bubble bath even if it's better than before.

I'll try your suggestions right now for the next version.

Seth