Carrara

Started by rcallicotte, January 15, 2009, 07:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Why I don't see more of this from people who have this product makes me wonder if the work I see here is just isolated.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/new-releases/secret-lake-seasons?item=8501&cat=421&_m=d
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

C.A.C.

Quote from: calico on January 15, 2009, 07:50:32 AM
Why I don't see more of this from people who have this product makes me wonder if the work I see here is just isolated.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/new-releases/secret-lake-seasons?item=8501&cat=421&_m=d

Because i tend to thing that many Carrara users at Daz focus mainly on content relating to vampire women, fantasy people and scantly clad fairys. Good landscapes from Carrara is actually isolated as this is not it's main focus. Also it's very hard to get good terrains out of Carrara. It's terrain features are outdated, making trees are hard and it only does trees. Also it's object replicator is kinda funky and is limited as well in many areas. Carrara terrains tend to look good close up with what look like here cleaver lighting and good texturing.

rcallicotte

These images from this URL actually look pretty good.

C.A.C.

latego

Carrara (especially the Pro version) is a complete 3D app: modeling, texturing, composing and rendering. DAZ looks like it is developing it significantly and it could become a major competitor in the low-cost arena in the future. In this respect, it does compare with big boys like trueSpace and not with specialized applications like Vue or Terragen.

I tried the open Beta and found it still behind Vue and Terragen w.r.t. to rendering, behind Hexagon w.r.t. modeling and behind Studio w.r.t. posing ease, but things could change in the future (in other words, if DAZ decides to make it really their flagship application).

Currently, DAZ worst problem is that they have several applications with significant functionality overlaps and they do not seem to have made up their mind to what to do, i.e. whether to have a few swiss army knives programs or many specialized programs.

Bye!!!

rcallicotte

Good observations, latego.  I love their DAZ Studio and it's free!

C.A.C.

Yup, i used Carrara off and on since version 4 but it had not changed much since then other then some small changes but nothing that would be a paradigm shift in a forward direction. Maybe Hair? There are so many wish lists at Daz that i lost track of them all. Used Daz Studio but my Tablet hates it. I guess Wacom's are bad for it?    ;D