Windows 7 - anyone fire this up yet?

Started by matrix2003, January 16, 2009, 06:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrix2003

Well I just downloaded.  Took almost two hours.  2.43 GB (2,618,793,984 bytes)  ISO Image File.
If I find time this weekend to format my old dog of a machine, I will load this up and go for a render.

Sunday is good cause I will be stuck watching six hours of AFC/NFC football playoff games!   :D

* Download the Windows 7 Beta:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

reck

Yeah I downloaded it yesterday and installed it as a VM. I must say i'm pretty impressed. It seems to be very snappy and a lot smoother than Visa and the problems with UAC have pretty much gone. The new toolbar takes some getting used along with the new mouse movements such as slide-popup, shake-window & window-border snap. Also I like how they have made better use of keyboard shortcuts for things like minimizing/maximing, flipping windows from one monitor to another etc.

Lots of other things to but i'll just mention a couple. The much improved join a wireless network window and native support for ISO...finally.

Vista got a bad reputation because of the compatibility problems, UAC and performance issues. The compatibility issues were fixed by the time service pack 1 arrived and the UAC and performance issues have been taken care of with the win 7 release so it's shaping up to be a good release IMO.

PG

Yeah it's pretty good. I had the pre-beta a month back and that was still riddled with problems. It was basically just vista with a few tweaks. I've got triple boot with XP, Vista and 7 now. The only problem I'm having besides the lack of audio drivers is that only 2 of my 3 hard drives are detected in Windows 7. They're fine in the other OSes. I've reported it to Microsoft.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Oshyan

I've been using it since a day or two after it came out. Pretty decent, a reasonable improvement over Vista (which I rather dislike, though I still have it as the primary OS on one of my main systems). I can't say I'm a fan of the new taskbar or Start menu, and I hope they ultimately continue to allow some kind of "Classic" mode for both, but the customizability of the taskbar is nice at least. Performance also seems improved, as many others have said. All in all I think the biggest praise I can give to it at this point is that unlike Vista, once it is released I will not do everything possible to avoid getting a system with it installed. As it is now, almost 2 years after Vista release, I still quite often find myself opting for the "Windows XP Downgrade" option when purchasing machines. It will be nice not to have to pay the $99 additional! My last hope for it is that they rethink the number of different variations they offer. I really wish they would go 64 bit only, but I guess that will have to wait for Windows 8...

- Oshyan