Some Technical Questions about Terragen 2 Deep with Animation

Started by eflint99, January 17, 2009, 12:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eflint99

Hello, I am interested in purchasing Terragen 2 Deep with Animation. However I have a few questions about this product.

1:) Can the same type of procedural/ fractal displacement that is generated in Terragen terrain be applied to imported geometry from other applications.

2:) Does Terragen 2 allow you to import camera  movements and object animation data from other applications?

3:) What is the best way to facilitate camera matching in Terragen 2???? -- I know that in Terragen 0.9 it was possible to import and export camera data from Maya. So is this possible with TG2?

I have to say that I am very impressed with TG2. I have tried Vue and I don't like its noisy image output - so I will not invest in it. I hope that I can get TG2 to work on my render farm though....

Thank you and keep up the good work Planetside,

Emmanuel

Oshyan

Please note that although TG2 itself is nearing completion, the Animation Module will remain in a pre-release state following the TG2 release. We will then devote more effort to animation functions to finalize this module. Animation capabilities are still available while the module is in pre-release, of course.

1: Not very well at this time unfortunately. Small amounts of displacement are usually possible, but more extreme displacement of imported objects causes broken faces.

2: You can import animation data in CHAN format. Unfortunately that's not a terribly common or easily accessed format. We have future plans to support FBX and other more common formats. Certain applications have existing CHAN exporters or even plugins that make interoperability reasonably effective (3DS Max being most well supported by 3rd parties at this time).

3: This relates to #2. Matt might have more specific information as he has a lot more production experience and will know how others are handling this. But if you can find CHAN support for Maya I think that will be a fairly good workflow.

- Oshyan

eflint99

The fact that Planetside is considering FBX support for TG2 is great!!! I find that FBX is one of the best universal translators between platforms (next to Okino's PolyTrans). Thank you for the information about the CHAN support, I will look into how to best implement this data extension in production ( if you know any resources regarding the chan extension please point me in the right direction). You mentioned that the animation features are in the pre release state. If possible could you give me a run down of all the animation features that Terragen 2 has. I know for sure that camera is able to be animated, but what else ?

When I buy Terragen 2, does it come bundled with documentation or anything like that? If not then I will refer to the documentation section of the forum. My last question is about Render Farms. I was wondering if you had some resources or suggestions about how to use TG2 on a render farm.

Thanks Oshyan,

Emmanuel

Oshyan

Currently in TG2 virtually every function and setting can be animated using simple keyframe techniques, including the camera, sun, etc. The button with an "A" and an s-curve next to most settings is used to set keframes. This means that you can animate everything from cloud movement to terrain "growth" and changes, to water, even to the level of transparency, strength of the sun, and hundreds of other parameters.

The primary limitations currently are that there is no centralized animation or curve editor, and that you cannot change the interpolation method used between keyframes. Import/export support for motion data and other animated parameters is also very limited. These are the areas we will be working on to finalize the Animation module.

Currently the only available documentation is in the forums, which you have already seen. However that documentation will be expanded to cover all TG2's major areas (including water, which is absent now, for example), as well as to include a complete "Node Reference", which will briefly explain the function of each node and its parameters. Initially we will not be providing tutorial-style "how do I make this in TG2?" documentation, but we hope to do so in the future.

As for render farm use, any render queue manager that can handle custom parameters for a commandline application should work with TG2. The only one I have heard of in this context is DrQueue (free and open source), but I know there are other options. If you need more specific help with this Matt would probably have more detailed advice from his experience in production.

- Oshyan

eflint99

Thanks a lot Oshyan! I can't wait until my next budget cycle begins so that I can purchase TG2 Deep with Animation!

Keep up the excellent work Planetside!!!

Emmanuel