Blasted

Started by efflux, January 20, 2009, 03:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

New planet.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/full.php?image_id=1818225

Experimenting with exr. I rendered out the atmosphere and surface separately. Then was able to adjust exposure better, especially for the sky. I used Cinepaint then some extra post work in Lightzone.

I'm not too happy with a few things. It turns out this render doesn't look so cool unless the monitor is quite high contrast and brightness. I could have got better composition and lighting as well. So I'll try to rectify this a bit with further renders.

However using exr is superb. I'm going to carry on with trying various methods for exr post work. In fact I doubt I'll use anything else now.

Volker Harun

Very good and inspiring work.
The ground's detail is amazing, so is the choice of colours.
I really like the part where the ground meets the spire!

Seth

efflux

Thanks for comments.

Just some info about things I did here.

I set up a different approach with this planet. Many of the displacements are actually in a separate chain in the node graph but hook back through into a kind of base layer as child layer. These separate functions all chain through displacement and distribution nodes. These are all blue function nodes utilizing perlin and voronoi basis. Then after that there are standard layers mostly dealing with colour and some larger fractal displacements. I found that separating most of the displacements in this way makes the graph easier to follow and edit. You can then pull data from this separate chain for use elsewhere to control colour for example.

There are fake stones but only the bigger ones. The other smaller texture (at least what can be seen here - it gets even smaller) is the same technique used for the stuff on the Mojo spires thread except I used a conditional node to get the values to two for masking purposes.

There is also subtle slightly distorted altitude driven Perlin basis which gives very slight displacement and colour. You can see this on the lower ground with the slight changes in tones at altitude.

There is more detail on the ground which will be visible with lower shots.

I wasn't too happy at more extreme towers elsewhere. That wasn't really intentional. Like the huge overhanging things in the distance but I'm leaving it like this. The towers are standard tweaked power fractal, nothing fancy.

efflux

Just another point which kind of disappeared a bit as the planet developed but some textures have slight luminosity. Not just the red glow but originally I had a kind of glowing ash on the ground. Some remnants of it remain.

Saurav

Love the details in this espically the surfacing and the atmosphere.

rcallicotte

efflux, you rock.  Uh, well, you know what I mean...GREAT.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

I would love to see this. Could you post a non-rendo link?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

efflux

OK. I see that linking to Renderosity is not a great idea. I was sure at some you could link direct to an image without having to sign in.

bri

Wow, this looks great. I'd love to see some more smaller rocks on the ground, if you keep this POV. I like the clouds too.

moodflow

This is very inspiring!  The spires and lava formations are great, as well as the surfacing.  The clouds could use some work (look too extended to me).
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

efflux

The clouds are too large I think. I brought down their altitude but didn't change the size.

I'm finding it quite problematic to find more render POVs that I like. I may rework the terrain. I'm happy with surface mats though.

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: efflux on January 21, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
The clouds are too large I think. I brought down their altitude but didn't change the size.

I'm finding it quite problematic to find more render POVs that I like. I may rework the terrain. I'm happy with surface mats though.

I like the clouds as they are at they moment as they add a sense of mystery to the image but they also do much more then this, at there current scale they help scale and proportion the land forms relative to each other that they may not other wise have; they also give the scene a depth that may other wise not have been there. At there current scale they cover some of the tops of some of the higher land forms, this can be seen under certain weather conditions in the real world, in the image here it has the visual Que that those land forms are further away then those closer to the viewer, helping to sell the 3D quality of the image that is on a 2D plane.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D         

matrix2003

This is just awesome!   And YES .exr is the ONLY way to save!  I switched a year ago and never looked back.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

old_blaggard

Very nice work :). Thanks for posting the image here - it sure was worth it to me. I see what you mean about the clouds, but the surface both for the ground and for the spires looks great.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.