Drakensberg

Started by FrankB, January 27, 2009, 05:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

... inspired by a documentary I saw recently about the Drakensberg region in South Africa. Just doodling around, nothing special, not even good, but it came out somewhat nice, so I thought I'd share regardless.

Cheers
Frank

old_blaggard

Nice colors, surfaces lack some detail, though ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Seth

very nice atmo and colours ! but i must say I agree with calico, i would like to see some more details on the surface...

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Hey!  What's so funny?   >:(

;D

How did I miss this one?  The color and details are awesome.  I love the point of view, too.

So there.   :-*
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Quote from: calico on January 28, 2009, 09:15:42 PM
Hey!  What's so funny?   >:(

;D

How did I miss this one?  The color and details are awesome.  I love the point of view, too.

So there.   :-*

Thanks Calico :-) ... although I'm trying to improve that image with more detail, just don't find the time at the moment.

What's so funny is, that because you're the no 1 commenter on this forum, there's a 50+% chance the first commenter on a new post, that's you. So apparently people stopped looking who the first poster was, and automatically assume that must've been you ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Seth

daaaaamn ! i didn't see my mistake ! sorry o_b ^^

FrankB

I've tried to give it more details, but somehow I don't like it anymore with the changes. I still like the overall otherworldly mood in it, but the rest apparently needs work.

I think I should give it another try.

Frank

Seth

yeah, i prefered the first version too ^^

mr-miley

FrankB

Hmmm.... Not sure.... I think I prefer the second one. Not too keen on the shininess of the rocks in the 1st, though it does seem to have a more grainy appearance, which suits the scene which is lost in the 2nd.

Oooooo, brain hurts!!

Must go and lie down in a darkened room for a while, whilst I mull this one over

;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

RArcher

I like the atmosphere of the first one.  Reminds me of what I did with this one: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5125.msg53041#msg53041 but your POV and surfaces are much more interesting.  The river on the original is the best feature and I hope you continue to work with it.  The second one does not work well for me, no real focus at all.  Could be one of those cases where you need to work on something else for a bit then come back with a fresh concept.

Tangled-Universe

Cool rockstructures Frank! Made any use of my file or are they from scratch?
I prefer the first version as well. The river is a nice touch.
The colors are pretty vivid I must say. I think surfaces could use some less reflectivity, but nonetheless they look quite good.
Are you developing this further or is it a just for fun thingie?

Martin

FrankB

thanks guys, I don't think I deserve it though. I think I will drop this scene and not develop it further. I just can't get it to look right, meaning the way I wanted it, somehow.
The graininess on the second is due to a misconfiguration of a powerfractal, it created many little spikes. I've discovered that after the render was completed.

I got to the first render while experimenting with something else, by chance. But you know, sometimes I get into a dead end with things, and then I will either need the thing to rest or leave it. I shall do that now.

Martin, the displacements are not from what you did in the past. These came from a power fractal and a strata shader merged together before the compute terrain node, with another power fractal as the mix controller. That was it.
The river has been painted with the paint shader. actually pretty simple.

If anyone's interested, I can post the tgd.

Regards,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: FrankB on January 29, 2009, 06:21:05 PM

Martin, the displacements are not from what you did in the past. These came from a power fractal and a strata shader merged together before the compute terrain node, with another power fractal as the mix controller. That was it.
The river has been painted with the paint shader. actually pretty simple.

If anyone's interested, I can post the tgd.

Regards,
Frank

I see what you mean, I did that too once, in this image: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2905.msg30851#msg30851
Here the power fractal as mix controller creates those deep crevices etc.