Terragen 2 running on Linux

Started by GioMez, January 29, 2009, 12:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioMez

I am trying to switch to Linux (almost) definitely, but one of the first thing that doesn't let me do this is the compatibility between Windows applications and Linux.
Now I found a bit of time and I decided to spend it in running Win apps in Linux trough the last version of Wine.

You can see the results in the 2 images attached.

The machine:
Kubuntu 8.10 (64 bit), installed on an Seagate FreeAgent Desk (USB drive)
KDE 4.2
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
4 GB Ram
Wine 1.0.1

Render time is 3:46. Not bad, especially since CPU was used slight above 50%! Now I'm trying to speed the process up.
The only problem I found (you can clearly see it) is the lack of button's images, but I think it is caused by the nvidia drivers or Wine's configuration.

I hope it would be useful or interesting!

rcallicotte

Groovy.  Thanks for sharing this info.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mindsap

I don't know to much about how Wine operates, but it seems to me that you are loosing  a lot of speed if your cpu is only running slightly above 50 percent.  When I run the benchmark on my quad core under Vista 64 it takes 100 percent cpu most of the time.  My time was 2:16
Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

GioMez

Quote from: mindsap on January 29, 2009, 04:05:30 PM
I don't know to much about how Wine operates, but it seems to me that you are loosing  a lot of speed if your cpu is only running slightly above 50 percent.  When I run the benchmark on my quad core under Vista 64 it takes 100 percent cpu most of the time.  My time was 2:16
Yes, I know. But i couldn't yet sqeeze the CPU to 100%
Today I've just tryed to make TG work!  ;D Nothing else.

mindsap

Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

lonewolf

I just wish wine worked on yellow dog linux. I have this installed on my ps3 and that would be an interesting test.  ;)

Iain

old_blaggard

I think that you would run into issues, considering that TG2 is compiled for x86 and the Cell processor is completely different. Best-case would be you running TG2 under emulation, which would *really* slow stuff down.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

texaswriter

GioMez> I am trying to get the latest version of Terragen installed. Are there people currently still running this version or a newer one. If you wouldn't mind, what specific steps did you take to get it installed. I would greatly appreciate if you could be as detailed as possible, as far as program, wine version, bottle settings, overrides, other things installed first... Anything would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance. If other users other than the OP have suggestions or even a link to another thread that would be great.

Linux foreva!!!

Other info: I use Lucid / Ubuntu 64 bit...

Henry Blewer

Wasn't the 6502 the processor for the Commodore 64? Later used to drive keyboards?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

timj

It was the processor used in the Apple II
May also have been in the Commodore but definitely in the Apple II (I still have one gathering dust)

security

Wine is OK, However, I would like to have a native version of terragen 2.

I think it isn't that hard to recompile it a bit to linux_x86 and linux_x86_64 archs, it would be really nice.

Why wouldn't we all write a letters to developers together or sign the online petition?

Sign in this petition, I'm sure it'll help!

http://petitiononline.com/sxiii/

Oshyan

It's porting our UI library that would probably be the biggest hassle, but recompiling the binaries is not an automatic solution even for the rendering code. It's really not as easy as you seem to think. We understand your frustration and we've heard the feedback, spamming the forums with links to a petition isn't a very good way to help your case.

- Oshyan

reck

I really hope planetside don't start investing their efforts into developing a linux version.

I have nothing against Linux but it's already taking such a long time for Windows updates to come out that developing for another platform would only slow things even more. I'd prefer they concentrate on Windows (and MAC) and produce faster updates than expand their platform support.

Seth

Dune