Wildness Making-Of

Started by Seth, February 02, 2009, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

the question is what do you want to do next ^^
keep this one without vegetation or try some population to bring it alive ?
keep in mind that "Wildness" was a render with a traditonal pov... just above the surface with land right in front of the camera, and the fake stones almost everywhere (big).
For your pov, above the land with the water far from the camera, the fake stones looks like tiny stones and we don't see anything to give us the scale of what we see :)
so once again, i must tell you that you need to think about what you want to do, vegetation or no vegetation ^^

al91

uhh 1 more qn.unrelated to this topic..if i wanna make snow on my mountain. do i use the power fractal shader or the painted shader or any other shaders?

Seth

a surface ayer might be a good idea. you can limit the max slope and/or the altitude...

al91

hmm ok so what do i attach it with? i jus want the top to be cover by snow  :-\

FrankB

I don't want to appear mean, but seriously, you have to read the official documentation, and start with the very first chapter.
You will see this is much more rewarding for yourself because you don't have to wait on anyone else telling you what the next step is.
So I'm encouraging you to start reading the docs, as they are not huge, and maybe spending just an hour with the documentation will equal at least 100 questions you would have asked about the TG2 fundamentals - no kidding.

Start here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6
Then this: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=20

Lastly, this: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=19

60 minutes, and you'll feel pretty good about your next TG2 steps ;D

Cheers,
Frank

buzzzzz1

Damn, you mean there's Directions in this box?   Hell, I always put things together before reading the directions, don't you??   ;) But seriously, that's a good point Frank.  :)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

FrankB

I wish there had been *any* documentation when I started working with TG2.
Admitted: I tend to get started without consulting documentation, but it's also true that - given the possibiltiy - I would also read a few chapters in case I'm apparently missing the fundamentals.

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

@al91, I agree with Frank.  He's right that the best thing to do would be to go through the beginner tutorials and beginning documentation.  It's where I started and I have gone back there a few times to understand the concepts. 

I'd say that the best TG2 artisans are those who have a strong fundamental understanding of the basic beginning concepts of TG2, without exception.  Their terrains are solid and interesting.  Their lighting is spot-on.  And I don't include myself in that group, since I still have trouble with some of the basics.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

al91

guess i have to read more during my free time then...
anyways thanks for the advices ;D

rcallicotte

@al91 - Going through Oshyan's tutorial is so much better than only reading about this.  It is step-by-step instruction in its introduction to TG2.  Very well done, too.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

kevnar

Here's my attempt (posted also in another thread). Thanks, Seth. Keep more tutorials coming. They're a lot of fun, and I learned a lot.

kaisersuzuki

Seth two comments:

1)  Thank you so much for an awesome tutorial.  I had fantastic results with minimal effort using some of the tricks in that tutorial.

2)  I checked out your gallery, and realized that almost every single one of my favorite terragen images I have seen on this site are in your gallery!  I really like your images.  They have a sense of photorealism that is hard to achieve, yet you consistently maintain that.  Great stuff!

Seth