Vertical water plane -> Waterfall (+animation)

Started by Mohawk20, February 04, 2009, 04:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Could be done with a painted shader (stupid me, why didn't I think of that before?).
Just paint on the plane, make the middle white with drop-off to the edges, attach as blending, invert blending..

But where to apply the blending? At the opacity function powerfractal, it doesn't work.
Adding a second distribution shader for the default shader, applying the painted shader as distribution to that and plugging that as input into the first distribution shader doesn't help either.
Howgh!

Mohawk20

Managed to figure it out!
See below for the result, opacity only applied to the sides of the plane.
I made a screen shot to show what the internal network of the plane object looks like.

Next I will add a translate shader and do a little animation of the water flowing down...

Howgh!

rcallicotte

Thanks for sharing your work on this!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Very nice work! I'm glad that this all came together.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dandelO

Cool. It's nearly the same setup as my masked waterplane river.tgd plane object, the water is only drawn where the painted shader(or its inverse) describes. Pretty much exactly the same except I use a surface layer instead of a distribution shader at the end.

Mohawk20

Great minds think alike  :o
I added a transform shader that translates the y value from 0 to -50 in 100 frames. Copied it and placed after both power fractals.
The result is I think as good as it gets. Not extremely realistic, but then it isn't a particle system, so realistic simulation should not be expected...
This is the link to the anim: Download here.
It's an avi, 8 Mb in size, with with Xvid video and uncompressed wav audio.

Let me know what you think...
Howgh!

Mohawk20

So it's been almost 11 years since I started this thread...!

Meanwhile I got married (2012) and had less time for Terragen.

Still, sometimes I have a moment to spend on my hobby, and I try stuff.

So in the last couple of years i've tried to make something realistic out of this...

I think I'm getting there.
Howgh!

Mohawk20

Too many at once ... ::)
Howgh!

Mohawk20

And more.
Howgh!

Mohawk20

Howgh!

Oshyan

Some really cool results! I agree, you're definitely getting close to realistic.

The reason you can't post more images per-post is that your jpg's are *huge*. Much bigger than they should need to be to have good quality. What are you using to output/compress to JPG?

Btw, congrats on getting married! :)

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

The waterfall is basically just a plane with water texture surrounded by 3 kinds of clouds, tweaked to infinity.

I know about the file size...
I output from Photoshop cs6 at highest quality.

And thanks, nearly 8 years now. Time flies!
Howgh!

Oshyan

Photoshop's "highest quality" is absolutely needlessly wasteful for web use. Use Save for Web and a quality of 60-80 and you'll have extremely high quality with lower file size.

- Oshyan

WAS

It definitely looks really convincing from a distance. Great work here. Cool to see waterfalls revisited with fresh eyes. I don't think I've ever done a waterfall in TG. I think I recall questioning about it ages ago. 

One suggestion would be to use a larger scale PF which is vertically stretched (maybe voronoi ridges) and use that for a breakup on the clouds. A similar one without the stretch would help breakup water plume at the base with more variety.

Dune

I thought you'd vanished forever Mohawk. Good to see you back and married and all. Congratulations! And nice waterfalls, really very realistic.