Still wet stones

Started by MF_Erwan, February 06, 2009, 03:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MF_Erwan

And here is the network view:

Erwan

Mohawk20

If you add a reflection shader to the wet parts it would really look wet, now it mostly looks dark (which is almost right).
A good start none the less..
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Cool sky.  Nice pyramids.  Hope we can see this with the Mohawk recommendation added.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on February 06, 2009, 05:31:22 AM
If you add a reflection shader to the wet parts it would really look wet, now it mostly looks dark (which is almost right).
A good start none the less..

Exactly!

May I add that if you add a reflective shader (in this case: put the reflective shader between the first shader and the fake stones shader) you should disable raytraced reflections. This adds really much unnecessary rendertimes because you're only after specular highlights.
The specular settings of a default shader are similar to a reflective shader without raytraced reflections.

MF_Erwan

Well for now I haven't ever used this shader, so I don't know how use it (gotta find a tutorial about it!).
The problem is that it will be used only for the "Wet rock" layer and the "Wet Fake stones shader". So where should I put it?

Erwan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: elegac on February 06, 2009, 11:17:35 AM
Well for now I haven't ever used this shader, so I don't know how use it (gotta find a tutorial about it!).
The problem is that it will be used only for the "Wet rock" layer and the "Wet Fake stones shader". So where should I put it?

Erwan

I already explained that, but to be more clear I could use a better quality picture of your nodesetup because I can't read all the nodes' names.

MF_Erwan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 07, 2009, 05:34:23 AM
I already explained that, but to be more clear I could use a better quality picture of your nodesetup because I can't read all the nodes' names.
Not really, because (correct me if I am wrong) if I put the reflective shader between the first shader (called "Dry rock") and the fake stones shader (called "Fake stones"), it will be applied every where except the stones?
I have:
-a layer called Dry rock, with no constraints
-a child layer of Dry rock called "wet rock", with only altitude constraints (altitude <1m, since the water level is 0)
-a fake stones shader which shader is "Dry Fake stones shader" and "Wet Fake stones shader". "Wet Fake stones shader" is a child of "Dry Fake stones shader" with altitude constraints (again altitude <1m).

Anyway, here is a better view of the network:

Erwan

Tangled-Universe

The first time I meant you had to connect the reflective shader to the surface-input of the wet rock stone shader and then connect the surfacing shaders like displacement to the reflective shader.

Seeing this picture I'd suggest adding the reflective shader as a child-layer to the wet fake stones shader.
You should do the same thing for the wet rock. Logically I'd connect one reflective shader into both childlayer ports.

Some suggestions for specular settings: I always find it easy to keep a ratio of 2 between highlight intensity and spread and to work from there. For example: intensity 0.2, spread 0.4

If you don't get it to work then please post the tgd. I don't know why, probably compression, but the image is barely readable again :)
Hope this helps.

Martin

MF_Erwan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 07, 2009, 06:42:58 AM
Some suggestions for specular settings: I always find it easy to keep a ratio of 2 between highlight intensity and spread and to work from there. For example: intensity 0.2, spread 0.4
There is no such "spread" in the reflective shader, but I suppose you meant "roughness"?

If you don't get it to work then please post the tgd. I don't know why, probably compression, but the image is barely readable again :)
Yes, compression...not due to the jpeg format, but to the too big size for this forum!
http://cjoint.com/data/cjmuhjDVI4_Sans_titre-1_copie.jpg

Anyway I followed your instructions...just a few hours to wait until it is rendered!

Erwan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: elegac on February 07, 2009, 08:12:35 AM
There is no such "spread" in the reflective shader, but I suppose you meant "roughness"?

Yes, compression...not due to the jpeg format, but to the too big size for this forum!
http://cjoint.com/data/cjmuhjDVI4_Sans_titre-1_copie.jpg

Anyway I followed your instructions...just a few hours to wait until it is rendered!

Erwan

Sorry I mean roughness indeed. Roughness controls the spread so that's why I called it that way. Have to do this without direct access to TG2 so I may mix terminology a bit sometimes :)

You're rendering a WHOLE new version with my instructions? Why not crops to test the settings etc.???

MF_Erwan

Result, after I let the computer working while I was off:

An here is the file:(yes the name is still Untitled since I'm still looking for a name for this image, but I have no imagination! :D
http://elgastro22.free.fr/temp/Untitled2.tgd

Erwan