Why Not?

Started by rcallicotte, February 06, 2009, 11:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose/expose_7/callforentries/

People like Frank (his latest beach image), Seth, TU, Hannes, RArcher, Luc (et al) - please consider using this as a forum for your image(s).  I realize these are debated books, but getting published is getting published and TG2 is a valid means of 3D art.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Why not.... Honestly, I would love to see TG stuff in the expose books, but I think that's a long time coming. If you look at the images they feature, it's almost always some fantasy/sci-fi variation. There is really very little photorealistic work there, and the stuff that is there always incorporates some unusual or fantastical element. It's a little bit frustrating, to be honest, because I don't think that they give a very representative sample of 3D art out there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even though lots of people here make amazing images, they don't strike me as being in the style that this series looks for.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

efflux

I never saw this before and didn't look into it much but my attitude is that my work would never go in this even if it was ever considered good enough. I will "EXPOSÉ" my work for free on the net not give it to someone else to sell a book. I don't see the point.

FrankB

Calico, I agree with o_b for this particular publication. TG2 images, at least the regular landscape scenes, they just don't fit with the concept. In general I would also like TG2 art receive more exposure besides on the internet.
So maybe there's another publication out there where TG2 art is a better fit in the overall concept of the publication.

I would maybe want to participate, and would hope that many people from around here would participate in any interesting opportunity to get TG2 art published. I think quite a few of the renders I've seen here in the past 2 years would deserve some additional exposure.

Cheers,
Frank

efflux

I always get suspicious when somebody says they are publishing your work in a format they are charging for and this is "exposure" but you don't get paid. If the images are on the Planetside gallery or something like that then all well and good because obviously we want to help promote TG2 capabilities but that gallery is viewable for free.

FrankB

Quote from: efflux on February 06, 2009, 07:25:09 PM
I always get suspicious when somebody says they are publishing your work in a format they are charging for and this is "exposure" but you don't get paid.

You are surely right in this. Ar least the money is not being shared in a fait way.

Exposure can be a currency, though, that you can "trade" for more paid jobs or deals.
I know that for "unknown" artists, it's not easy to sell their images at high prices, unless they have a track record of publications, vernissages, ... anything proof of previous exposure and of having a name.
Still offering "just" the exposure as a compensation is modern robbery :-)

Frank

PG

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 06, 2009, 02:24:16 PM
Why not.... Honestly, I would love to see TG stuff in the expose books, but I think that's a long time coming. If you look at the images they feature, it's almost always some fantasy/sci-fi variation. There is really very little photorealistic work there, and the stuff that is there always incorporates some unusual or fantastical element. It's a little bit frustrating, to be honest, because I don't think that they give a very representative sample of 3D art out there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even though lots of people here make amazing images, they don't strike me as being in the style that this series looks for.

How about a render of something like Antelope canyon? That's pretty fantastical but still obviously photorealistic if you can recreate it. And of course clouds are ripe for the picking, a cumulus shaped like the HMS belfast :D

Quote from: FrankB on February 07, 2009, 06:20:14 PM
Still offering "just" the exposure as a compensation is modern robbery :-)

Frank

And a book  ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

:-[

I hide in shame.

;D  Not really.  But, it seemed like the best thing to say.  Maybe it would be good, if you want to say you are published...exposure.  But, if you have a better way, light up the fireworks.  I wouldn't mind if they accepted my work, but I still have more to learn before that.  Maybe "Expose 99".   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?