Mountain Dew

Started by old_blaggard, February 10, 2009, 04:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

I've been really busy with school, my jobs, and applying for internships over the summer and I haven't had nearly enough time to play with Terragen. However, this scene was perfect for me: I set it up in only a couple of hours and let it render. The only tricky part was getting the distribution of the drop objects right, which I eventually solved with a set of cameras projecting different masks around in 3D space.

Ryan's recent work inspired the depth of field, lightning made the grass, and Matt wrote a raytracer that rendered thousands of transparent and reflective dew drops over the course of five days without ever crashing.

EDIT: Apparently the color profile I set wasn't conserved when uploading, as the image looks different in my browser than in the image editor. I'll try to fix that later.

EDIT 2: It was actually my browser. Time to switch from my weird off-brand Firefox 2-based setup and get with the game :P.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Tangled-Universe

Five days? Holy sh*t man ;D

BUT,...it is really worth the wait! Great work! The grasses still look quite realistic, even so close-up!
I guess you've used your own custom textures and I also guess you used populated spheres for the drops? :)

Martin

FrankB

great stuff, Paul! The DOF is a must in this, and it's well excuted!

Cheers,
Frank

buzzzzz1

Damn! Amazing what this software can do in the right hands. And with Matt's help.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on February 10, 2009, 04:18:30 PM
Damn! Amazing what this software can do in the right hands. And with Matt's help.

I think he meant to say that the current state of the TG-renderer is so stable that it can run for 5 days, non-stop.
Not that Matt has written/updated the raytracer for this image.
At least, that's what I think :)

rcallicotte

o_b, would you explain what you mean about Matt and the 5 days?  I'm wanting what you've got here.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

reck

He means "Matt wrote a raytracer that rendered thousands of transparent and reflective dew drops" which allowed him to create this image and it took him 5 days to render.

Seth

moodflow

Quote from: calico on February 10, 2009, 04:29:16 PM
o_b, would you explain what you mean about Matt and the 5 days?  I'm wanting what you've got here.

The raytracer Matt wrote = TG2  ;D
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Mohawk20

Well, I'm used to renders that take weeks (and not only animations), so the five days part is nice.
But I really like the DOF, which adds all the realism. Aside from the water drops of course...
So how did you manage the distribution exactly?
Howgh!

Volker Harun

I would like to give you a hug! I love this render ,-)

dandelO

Fantastic job. Great distribution and DOF.
Definately an image for the PS gallery!

old_blaggard

Wow, thanks for the comments, guys :). A couple more notes:

- Yes, I meant good old TG2 when I said Matt's raytracer ;).

- 5 days was a little long, but when you consider all of the complex ray-tracing that had to be done and the fact that I do all of my work on a 1.5 year old Macbook Pro, the time starts to make more sense.

- The distribution was a little complicated. The sphere object wasn't working properly, so I created a sphere in Blender and applied the proper shaders. I then created a distance shader and used that as a color mask on both the droplets and the grass so that I could get a depth mask, and then I created a new camera, slightly higher than the main one and tilted downwards to give a different perspective, and did the same thing. The intersection of the two masks is exactly where in 3D space the droplets should appear, and then I just populate normally.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Saurav

A beauty, the DOF works a treat here and looks very natural. Definitely one for the official PS gallery. ;)