vegetation and trees with Terragen2

Started by aymenk2003, February 24, 2009, 05:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Seth

aymenk2003

when I've seen that the time of the new release is nearer, lot of questions fall over my head !!! Is the new release fastest comparing to this one 'cos comparing to tg 0.943 lot of features are missing : the render time; the 3D view in which we can get the camera position easely....are there any new features in the new release??? because till that time I prefer tg 0.9 to tg2...

fuzzyEuclid

Quote from: Seth on March 03, 2009, 08:11:20 PM
can we see the result ?

You read my mind sir! I guess that means I second the notion :)

rcallicotte

What?  TG2 compared to TG.9 is like The Alps compared to Kansas.

Quote from: aymenk2003 on March 16, 2009, 08:21:03 PM
when I've seen that the time of the new release is nearer, lot of questions fall over my head !!! Is the new release fastest comparing to this one 'cos comparing to tg 0.943 lot of features are missing : the render time; the 3D view in which we can get the camera position easely....are there any new features in the new release??? because till that time I prefer tg 0.9 to tg2...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Quote from: aymenk2003 on March 16, 2009, 08:21:03 PM

The 3D view in TG2 is in fact much more advanced considering that it shows full texturing, atmosphere, lighting, etc. Yes it is slower and does not allow you to fully "fly around the terrain", but this is also due to the fact that in TG2 terrains are rendered procedurally, at render-time (although heightfields are also supported).

As for the render time, with increased realism inevitably comes increased render time. However if you render a similar scene in TG2 to a TG 0.9 scene, with a basic heightfield and no procedural detail, with 2D clouds, and no objects, the render time will not actually be that much longer. It is simply that TG2 allows for so much more detail and functionality, which again increases render time.

- Oshyan

Goms

Quote from: Oshyan on March 16, 2009, 11:05:03 PM
However if you render a similar scene in TG2 to a TG 0.9 scene, with a basic heightfield and no procedural detail, with 2D clouds, and no objects, the render time will not actually be that much longer.
I tested this a few month ago. In fact, tg2 is even faster on one core than tg0.9. Well, just 10 seconds faster at 20 minutes render time; but faster.  8)
And today a normal PC has more than one core.
If you compare what you can do with tg0.9 on one core and what you can do in the same render time with tg2 on 4 cores...
I don't understand why there are still people, who complain about render times. Its like complaining that crysis in FullHD and full details is not running and then saing "but Half-Life worked great!"...
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

domdib

Maybe people still complain about it because computing technology is moving so fast that they *expect* render times to keep dropping, even as the realism increases (and quite frankly, with TG2, the realism is stunning, especially in the hands of some of the people on this board). Also, they may not realise that render speed is so closely tied to CPU performance alone, and has zilch to do with any fancy GPU they have on board. But it does make one groan inwardly when somebody says "my render took so long, it was like *gasp* 2 hours man"! People who don't take time with the program just won't get the results.

neuspadrin

Theres such a HUGE difference in the abilities of TG.9 vs TG2, and sure the cpu has gotten faster, but not THAT amazingly fast.  I don't mind a few hour render to get nice results, they are so realistic vs .9 that it's worth it.  Afterall, it has better clouds, terrain, shaders, OBJECTS, lighting, transparency, etc etc etc.

aymenk2003

Quote from: neuspadrin on March 18, 2009, 11:26:57 AM
... they are so realistic vs .9 that it's worth it.  Afterall, it has better clouds, terrain, shaders, OBJECTS, lighting, transparency, etc etc etc.
I've made a beautifull landscape with tg0.9 that I 've never got with tg2 ...my be I'm not using all the powerfull featurs of tg2... and that is the problem...

neuspadrin

If you are used to TG.9, it takes a bit more time and learning curve to use TG2 and to start getting some good output, but once you get it theres so much more possibility in what you can make, and quality of the output.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=31

aymenk2003

Quote from: Seth on March 03, 2009, 08:11:20 PM
can we see the result ?
Salut Franck ou Seth as you you like...
J'ai fait un tour a votre galerie de 7thCircle et j'ai été ebloui par les merveilleuse illustrations je note:
-"Le passage" (dont je me demende comment est son "terrain *.ter") es que vous travaillez les terrain en dehors de terragen???-
-"AuBordDeLeau" et "Flamourous sky"....
??? !!!