New benchmark scene and site!

Started by Oshyan, February 28, 2009, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tiger_666

0:11:12s mins on my i5 2500K stock 4gb ram
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

neon22

Can't seem to enter a system (combo drop down is empty) into the benchmarking site right now...  :(
But nevertheless I am very pleased with my new Z8NA-D6 mobo with two Xeon E5620 @2.4GHz (8 cores) and 12MB RAM + 4 1TB drives in raid10. I guess its not stacking up that well against the new i5's for cost/speed but I use it for more than just TG2.

Cheap to buy from Newegg (1740=260 + 2*390 + 2*130 + 4*90 + 80 +case+graphics) and did the benchmark (in 2.3.20.1) in 8:53. A big improvement over my previous(single old school Xeon) system at 2:25:34. In fact 533 vs 8734 seconds. Almost 16.4 times faster.

and almost twice as fast as the 8core Mac it is most equivalent to. :-)

Oshyan

Are you logged-in? To enter a new system you go to My Profile then click Add System and fill out the details and click Save. Then go enter your benchmark and select the system you entered. Should work fine, just tested here.

- Oshyan

neon22

Hi Oshyan - You are right. Somehow completely missed that. Obvious when I see you can benchmark other pieces of s/w also... :-(

Oshyan

No problem. Could probably use some FAQs.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

Quote from: neon22 on May 14, 2011, 05:38:18 PM
and almost twice as fast as the 8core Mac it is most equivalent to. :-)

Previous to v2.3 the Mac version had problems scaling and could slow down a lot when it started to use hyperthreads, as an 8 core Mac would with the benchmark. My dual quad core 2.26 GHz Mac Pro renders the benchmark in 11:16 with v2.3, so only a couple of minutes slower than your faster machine really :-). With v2.3 the Mac and Windows version have pretty much the same rendering performance.

Regards,

Jo

neon22

Hmm - yes looks like the clock speed would account for the difference. Your 2.26GHz and my 2.4GHz.

On the surface of it the best price/performance looks like an overclocked Core i7 with D0 stepping
But many of these benchmarks are not on the latest release.
That would be a good column to have visible - I think.. Hint :)

But the newegg price of a high end i7 is still between 1500 and 2000. So there's not much price diff if you start with a 3.4GHz system. But then homebuilt is always a bit cheaper at that top end. :-\
Of course the dual 6core E5660 is 4600USD...(2.8GHz) Hmmm If that really got you to 4 minutes then maybe...

blah blah blah .. CPU speed .. blah blah blah .. nephalem .. blah blah  ::) LOL

Oshyan

There's another thread around here discussing some recent price research I did which found that a 6 core i7 extreme (previous generation, not Sandy Bridge) is probably the best bet for max performance at this point. It's not cheap, but it should equal a dual CPU quad core Xeon system due to higher clock rate and fewer threads. The best price/performance is probably the i7-2600 Sandy Bridge at 3.4Ghz. It's really remarkably cheap considering the clock rate increase from the past generation.

- Oshyan

neon22

Quote from: Oshyan on May 16, 2011, 03:13:01 PM
There's another thread around here discussing some recent price research I did which found that a 6 core i7 extreme (previous generation, not Sandy Bridge) is probably the best bet for max performance at this point. It's not cheap, but it should equal a dual CPU quad core Xeon system due to higher clock rate and fewer threads. The best price/performance is probably the i7-2600 Sandy Bridge at 3.4Ghz. It's really remarkably cheap considering the clock rate increase from the past generation.

- Oshyan

and the i7-2600K chip goes to 4.4GHz with a basic fan (for $23 more). So maybe it takes the lead.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested
But I think I should stop hijacking this thread... This is going to look so old later....

Luc

btw did someone execute this benchmark with the i7 2600K ? I did not find it on http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/

luc
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

Henry Blewer

I should be able to run my new build sometime late October.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

Surprising we have no i7 2600 benchmarks on there yet. I think there are a fair number of people who have them here now.

Time to update the benchmark with the latest features anyway...

- Oshyan

Matt

I've just added a benchmark for my i7 2600K. 8m43s.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Luc

Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

Hetzen

Couldn't get the right settings in the drop downs, so I didn't add my results.

I've just put together a Sandybridge 2600 3.4Ghz (although the bios says its running at 3.8?? and Win7 Pro 64bit is saying 3.7. I haven't done anything to the bios, so maybe it was upped at the warehouse I bought it from). 8gig of Ram (should be 16, but had a miss matched set of pairs so returned).

Completely clean install, only TG, I got 7:41.

When I decreased the bucket size to 64 (although it looked like it was rendering 128) I got 7:12.

To upgrade form my previous system which had a decent graphics card that I carried over, the cost was £700.