Comparisons to Vue?

Started by Cybergooch, March 03, 2009, 08:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cybergooch

I'm to the point where I want to start working with terrain creation for the backgrounds in some of my work. I have spent some time looking at everything from stand-alone height-field generators to the full fledged environment creators.

It's pretty much come down to a choice between Terragen 2 and Vue 7. Is there anyone here that has used both programs extensively and could comment on what they feel are the benefits/drawbacks to either?

I have read in a number of forums that stability is an issue with Vue...is Terragen pretty stable? I thought that Vue was the only program that offered anything like Ecosystems, but in reading the forums here, there are ways to do that in Terragen.

Also, any word on whether or not there will be a 64 bit version of Terragen when it ships, and what final cost will be?

Thanks,

-Eric Gooch
Cybergooch.com

jo

Hi Eric,

Just a couple of answers to some of your questions:

You can do similar things to Vue as regards ecosystems using the Painted Shader to control populations of plants. It's not quite so well integrated as Vue perhaps, but it's still very easy to do and potentially more versatile ( from my limited fooling about with Vue's ecosystems ).

There won't be a 64 bit version of TG2 for the final release, but it's one of the biggest priorities after release. I'd be surprised if we didn't have 64 bit versions on both Windows and the Mac within 6 months, barring unforeseen eventualities.

Regards,

Jo

neuspadrin

from my personal experience when i tried out view a little prior to tg2 where objects were usable, it seemed decent, but just didnt get the realistic feel that terragen does in a final render.  i'm sure i couldve gotten better at getting view to work good, but for just plain terrains, maybe with a mix of models, it jsut didnt seem as realistic as some of the tg2 renders ive been doing recently.  and for just plain terrains/backgrounds id personally say tg2 wins that as thats the area it excels at.  TG seems all about nature, doing that best (but its still possible to do anything really with all the shader options, just getting a realistic feel is very easy with tg2)

my suggestion though?  try them both and play with them all you want.  both tg2 (free) and vue (personal learning edition) have very generous freedom given to them and are free.  get a feel for which you prefer.

Hannes

I don't want to be part of that silly Vue vs. TG rivalry (is this the right word?) but I want to mention some things that may be helpful.
The first time i put my hands on vue was a long time ago (Vue d'esprit 2!!). Since that I always played around with the new (demo-) versions. It has really matured during the last years. There are lots of things you can do with Vue that are not possible in TG2 (integration with other apps, versatile animation features, render passes, easy material editing and so on...).
Nevertheless I prefer TG2, because the results are way more realistic.

OK, Vue has been used in some blockbuster movies, but if you look at those shots it's mainly vegetation you can see. That's in fact the strongest part of Vue. You don't see very much of the terrain.
TG is imho unbeatable in creating realistic terrains including detailed surfaces and in creating realistic clouds and athmospheres.
Vue has new clouds since version 7. They are good but not as good as TG's clouds.
I believe that all those blockbuster shots could have been done in TG2 easily. In terms of vegetation it only depends on the models you have. If you play with the populations for a while you'll see that it's easy to use and if you are creative you can have very natural distributions and colour variances.
Thanks to all those generous people who contributed so many vegetation models, especially Lightning (who's the one to throw the first stone?).

So if you want realism it's clearly TG, if you need a package that's versatile and easy to use but less realistic take Vue.

rcallicotte

Yes to Hannes.  Easy to agree.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Cybergooch

Thanks for the replies...I tend to agree with the comments here about the quality of the terrain itself. Vue's strong point seems to be covering the terrain with plants, but I've had a hard time getting the terrain itself to look very good. That's one of the things I like about the TG terrain, it's some of the best I've seen. Good clouds are important to me as well.

Any comments on TG stability?

neuspadrin

There's the occasional render bug, but planetside does a pretty good job of getting rid of them when they are found.  And these bugs rarely ever pop up until you start using things in ways they wern't designed to technically be used, or creating very odd displacements and extreme number values, etc.  tg2 is still technically in beta, but the actual release is just around the corner now. 

also if you are wanting vegetation, xfrog plans to release a low cost dvd at the same time tg2 officially launches, with a nice variety of plants for a good cost (so they say so far), which if you were into purchasing some nice plants, that would give you a nice quick boost to your library of possibilities.  you can also scout through our image sharing and file sharing forums, to get an idea of what kind of images people are making, and what kind of things people are willing to share with this community being so nice and awesome. though, just a quick note that many plants in the file share are currently dead links, due to the whole lightning thing.  but there still plenty of great things out there.

so really, while terrain is terragens very great advantage, it has been going leaps and bounds towards high quality models imported from other programs.  recently most my renders have consisted of A LOT of vegetation, and they've turned out great (at least, i think so ;))

if your looking for backgrounds though, tg2 wins in clouds, atmosphere, and terrain.  hands down.

rcallicotte

TG2 stability - Usually, when there is a problem in the present version (Beta), it is often because someone is trying something unusual or because of experimentation.  This isn't bad, since TG2 is so open to try so many things.  The node network and the functions open doors to worlds and adventures where we have yet to tap even the surface...so far.  This freedom, in my observation, is one of the greatest things about Terragen 2.

When the Gold version comes out, I expect it will be much more stable than it is now and will be much more user friendly.  I'm very impressed so far.  For the price, it's ranks at the best of "dreams come true".  As far as after it is Gold, the price will rise.  This discounted price should presently be incentive for anyone still holding back.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mac

Quote from: jo on March 03, 2009, 08:39:18 PM
I'd be surprised if we didn't have 64 bit versions on both Windows and the Mac within 6 months, barring unforeseen eventualities.

Regards,

Jo

Is that in Planetside time or real time?  ;D

jo

Hi Mac,

Quote from: mac on March 04, 2009, 08:14:10 PM

Actual real time. Unforeseen eventualities may force a rift and shift into Planetside time, but I'm optimistic. 64 bit is a big priority for us.

Reegards,

Jo

Jack

both vue and terragen have their strong points if i were you i would use both apps as i do terragen and vue combine very well together ;)
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

neuspadrin

Quote from: jo on March 04, 2009, 08:20:45 PM
Hi Mac,

Quote from: mac on March 04, 2009, 08:14:10 PM

Actual real time. Unforeseen eventualities may force a rift and shift into Planetside time, but I'm optimistic. 64 bit is a big priority for us.

Reegards,

Jo

I say we shoot for August 13th :P

Would be a great bday present :P

Martians

One thing to bear in mind regarding Vue, is that the vegetation can be animated by placing wind forces in your scene...

Martin

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Martians on March 08, 2009, 06:53:36 AM
One thing to bear in mind regarding Vue, is that the vegetation can be animated by placing wind forces in your scene...

It's cool, but have you seen any examples which don't look weird? All the ones I have look a bit odd.

Regards,

Jo

Martians

Well, the ones from the Vue 7 showreel look pretty good to me - Although I must admit that I haven't been able to get quite the same results myself :)