Negative 'Y' dimension.

Started by choronr, March 04, 2009, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

See the attached .tgd. Moving up from the base of the picture to about 1/3 the way upwards, all 'Y' dimensions read negative values as the mouse pointer move upwards. This results in not being able to place vegetation on the surface of the terrain. Any ideas regarding this issue would be appreciated. 

Mohawk20

I don't understand the problem...
What kind of vegetation? A surface layer, or an object population?

The negative values are normal, because the planet surface (y=0) is displaced upward and downward (white (y=+100) and black (y=-100) of the powerfractal). This happens all the time. As long as the population is set to follow the terrain of the compute terrain (and you don't have any other displacements after that), it should follow both hills and valleys. I downloaded your file and I created a population of rock objects without any problem.

below is a little test render to show that the population does appear correctly. I disabled the atmospheres and clouds for render speed, and it is a crop-render...
Howgh!

choronr

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 05, 2009, 03:43:10 AM
I don't understand the problem...
What kind of vegetation? A surface layer, or an object population?

The negative values are normal, because the planet surface (y=0) is displaced upward and downward (white (y=+100) and black (y=-100) of the powerfractal). This happens all the time. As long as the population is set to follow the terrain of the compute terrain (and you don't have any other displacements after that), it should follow both hills and valleys. I downloaded your file and I created a population of rock objects without any problem.

below is a little test render to show that the population does appear correctly. I disabled the atmospheres and clouds for render speed, and it is a crop-render...
Hi Mohawk,

Thanks for your feedback; and, taking the time to check the .tgd and your suggestions. Unfortunately, in this case and a lot other times, I've stayed up too late while working on this project as my brain was craving for sleep. I made the mistake of not connecting the population to the last surface shader and had left it connected the compute terrain as it does automatically. For the population failing to show up made me think it had something to do with the negative 'Y' dimension ...learning and learning some more.

Appreciate your come back; now, I can get back to work finishing this image.

Bob

Mohawk20

No problem, glad to be of help.

Although, the population I tested with was attached to the default compute terrain and did work, so now I'm curious what went wrong the first time you tried...
Howgh!

choronr

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 05, 2009, 04:20:12 PM
No problem, glad to be of help.

Although, the population I tested with was attached to the default compute terrain and did work, so now I'm curious what went wrong the first time you tried...
I really don't know why the pops don't work when connected to the compute terrain; however, I connected to the last shader and the veggies all show up.

Bob