Modo 401

Started by rcallicotte, March 25, 2009, 08:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

domdib

Astoundingly realistic, in the hands of those who know how to use it. Pity it's also astoundingly expensive  :(

rcallicotte

It's a lot less than some of the competitors and seems to have its own niche.  Still expensive, I understand.  Hopefully, it will have less bugs than its predecessors.

Seth

Oo
very realistic !
damn i wish to be able to use this kind of software :)

neuspadrin

I want so much to get into 3d modeling and the such and to fully understand it, but just always been too busy, and too poor.  Most attempts made with blender it sometimes starts to piss me off and I've always had issues with blender on my system with the ui acting up and not displaying properly, which makes the already very limited ui very much harder to learn.

wish i had the cash to blow on 3dsmax, maya, lightwave, etc.

Hmm,  I should check my schools software to see their price... Afterall, I got CS3 premium design suite for just over 300 bucks the other year. (convinced my parents for a Christmas present to help out on it some)

----------------

hmm apparently we get a free version of maya ple, and 3dsmax or something, I'll have to check it out later.

rcallicotte

neuspadrin - if nothing else, check out Silo.  It's very inexpensive and is used in the industry.  Very easy to learn and loads of free tutorials.

I believe Modo has an education price, too.

latego

It is not really pricey, it costs exactly like Vue7 Infinite... now I understand why people are so enthusiastic about it.

Bye  :'(

P.S.: this IS a professional level application.

rcallicotte

The first video here reminds me of TG2's populations controls (mostly), but the second video makes me wish for this in TG2 - http://www.luxology.com/modo/401.replicators/

@latego - Yes, it is a professional application...actually, both Silo and Modo are, but Modo has a lot of capabilities not found in Silo (yet).

arisdemos

That Modo cholla (jumping) cactus really goes Xfrog at least one million spines better for ease of creation!.

latego

What I find significant is the speed and scope of the improvements. E.g. in took YEARS for E-On to make ecosystems populate not only the upper faces of a shape and these guys, when they first release replicators, they immediately allow to do things like the cactis thorns, sprouting out from a convoluted shape drawn just out of some lines...

Also, I was astonished by the price of the thing: 895$, exactly as much as Vue 7 Infinite (and LESS than xStream) for a modeling/shading/rendering integrated package. AFAIK, only rigging and animations are not available in Modo. Vue 7 has the modeling capabilities of Bryce, no rigging and not-so-exciting animation.

I had seen lots of praise for Modo, but I did not really think much out it (burned by too much fanboyness on Renderosity Vue forum ;)) but now I think that these people are doing a great job and, perhaps even more important for the whole 3D world, becoming a real competitor for Autodesk Borg collective.

Bye!!!

Jack

its getting packed with more and more garbage you don't even need :P
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: wetbanana on March 26, 2009, 05:47:30 AM
its getting packed with more and more garbage you don't even need :P

That would depend on what you where trying to do and the needs and work flow of the individual artist and the job they've been asked to do, so calling additional [added] features garbage is I think a little bit unfair; now not every artist will need all the features offered, this is  to be expected however they maybe those that do in a given set of circumstances.

What feature is or is not required is as with so many other things a subjective one and it is better to have a capability, that for the moment maybe of no use rather than not have it when a job is running behind and the client is starting to ask lots of questions about your time management skills!

I'd say that what one person considers of no importance might just be what some one else needs; all of the above aside Modo lives in the world of High-End software products in its software class, in this world there a core features that people expect, they also expect innovation in the software they use now if either or both of these is the cause of feature bloat then to bad, so sad as the saying goes.

The fact of the matter is that people have expectations of software to day that are vary different form not so long ago; to survive in this business today software has to be buzzword compliant other wise its sadly a case of "See ya don't want to be ya". End of Line.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel               

rcallicotte

Shhhhh.  That's a secret.   8)

Quote from: latego on March 26, 2009, 05:22:47 AM
...becoming a real competitor for Autodesk Borg collective.

Bye!!!

@wetbanana and @Cyber - This could be a big success, if Luxology doesn't ship a buggy product.  The bugs from 30x really didn't help anyone.

neuspadrin

From what i can see if modo adds some effort into animation abilities they could have a very nice package deal.

rcallicotte

If Luxology can add animation well, even if it isn't robust, then I'd say that would be the app to have (no bugs included).