Just a thought

Started by kevnar, March 27, 2009, 03:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevnar

If you imported a 3D model from, say, a war game, and threw it in as a population, could you render a battlefield type scene with thousands of soldiers assembled and ready to fight?

Has anyone done this before? I'd like to see pics of that.

PG

You can if they're in a TG2 format but don't expect them to render properly. I guarantee you the coordinate system for rendering vertices in the game will be different to the one used in TG2.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

I have used a Poser figure in stead of a Game figure, but I had some problems creating a whole battlefield...

See this thread: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3751.0
Howgh!

Hannes

If you can import them as .obj files you can use them like any objects. The main problem is the 16 textures restriction.
Here's one I did last year just for fun:

kevnar

Great Job, Hannes. That's exactly what I was talking about. Gotta blur it a bit so it doesn't look too clunky. But you still get the idea.

Now you just need to add the castle that they're storming, and maybe a dragon or something.  8)

Mohawk20

Looks good...

When the material limit is fixed (hopefully in the next release), I'll probably try some stuff with an army again...
3 objects per model really is insane (what was in thinking??)!
Howgh!

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Hannes on March 27, 2009, 12:44:25 PM
Here's one I did last year just for fun:

That doesn't look much like fun to me. ;D

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 27, 2009, 03:29:18 PM
When the material limit is fixed (hopefully in the next release), I'll probably try some stuff with an army again...
3 objects per model really is insane (what was in thinking??)!

Do you really want to revisit that convoluted and less than perfect method of getting your army to form up into proper ranks.?  ::)
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Mohawk20

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on March 27, 2009, 07:52:28 PM
Do you really want to revisit that convoluted and less than perfect method of getting your army to form up into proper ranks.?  ::)

No, thank you! ;D

I was thinking more along the lines of a chaotic battlefield this time, a lot easier I think... I'd only need a few soldiers in the right poses, and a little luck with placement.

But I don't think it will be any time soon.

And sorry for hijacking a bit Kevnar.
Howgh!

kevnar

Hijack away. I'm still waiting for this image to render. Eleven and a half hours later, and it's still only about 1/3 done. I can't imagine trying to render an animation. :o

Mohawk20

Quote from: kevnar on March 28, 2009, 01:06:06 AM
I can't imagine trying to render an animation. :o

You'll get used to that... my curtly rendering animation is now at frame 2031, after 1333 hours rendering, and it goes until frame 3600, so it'll be a while still.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

1333 Hours!  Oh gosh.  Criminy.  That's too long...well, it depends on what's important.  But, I think there has to be a better way than 1000 hour renders.  I wonder how long a new i7 would take.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Cyber-Angel

Mohawk,

I did a search on Google and found this Render Farm http://deadline.emecstudios.be/index.php/about.html  They have from what I can see, are good rates and they support TG2 if it helps.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D

arisdemos

My TG2 skill level is somewhat fragmented, but I believe that armed conflict is in my more experienced toolkit.  When you wish to place primitive combatants in a believable scenario function, the truth in action lies somewhere between an actionable formal geometry of fighter/fighters and a total chaos of forces that will be swirling about or fleeing from that foci of organised mayhem who know quite well that they will ultimately prevail. Unorganised groups of wannabe "warriors" in the beginning of battle  will be in reality be boys and mill about like sheep, and those men who are entering into their slaughter will hold formations practiced individually or in concert and be picking/prioritising their closer targets.  At a certain point in the killing and confusion of the lesser force the sheep will break and flee, and the organized killer/group will wheel and follow to finish off the confused remnents. Battle in the historical pastense was rarely a static play with "equals" pitted in sportsmanlike contests on level playing fields as I see in Hane's scene. The dominant human pitbulls are generally very obviously superior and early on show the signs of a calm eagerness for the blood of those who tremble befor the living storm of their destruction. It would be very difficult if not impossible to graphically recreate an accurate portrayal of say Thermopylae because the phalanx as then practiced was such a fluid force of connected fighters and was absolutely and totally unlike the movie battle scenes recently illustrated in that titled "300" farce. If the Spartans had fought like that silly movie portrayed and the Individuals warriors left their formation to engage in individual little conflicts totally seperated from their phalanx then they would have been easily killed by massive squads of Persian swordsmen and archers. The Phalanx in reality was practiced like a dance or chorase line to change shape amorphously and surround or envelope large groups of enemies who knew only straight ranks and diagonal pincer movements/sweeps on the flanks of their formation called the horns. The Spartan phalanx was more like a viral advance into and around elements of a cell with sections organised and pre programed to feel for weakness and flow around and kick ass on the more vulnerable sections of those straight ranks they fought while holding firm and fast onto any side sweeping segments of their Persian enemy, esentially holding the "bull" by the nose while cutting of his nuts.