Newb needs example file

Started by jt256, March 29, 2009, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Quote from: jt256 on March 30, 2009, 01:28:31 PM

And it's a darn sight better than the amateurish mountains that some of you would have preferred me to slave over.

hahaha
::)

agree with nvseal... he explain my point of view with clear and quiet terms ;)

dandelO

QuoteI'm in a hurry to get some mountains

I was just thinking... With that attitude, you aren't going to get anything of mine, or anyone elses in here... I think you've managed to get your hands on a version of my grass though, by the looks of it. Did you learn anything useful from it?

chromecity

Quote from: calico on March 30, 2009, 11:39:29 AMThe reality is that you actually need to learn something to use TG2 (no brainless zombies here) ...
Well maybe one - I'm still here.   ;)

Quote from: calico on March 30, 2009, 01:53:02 PM@jt256 - Did you create it yourself?  If so, it's pretty good.  If you used someone else's file, what did you learn?
Something tells me that mountain he showed wasn't generated by him.  Too many details for someone with that attitude to come up with in that time-frame.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  This is like that old "teach-a-man-to-fish" story.  Or the other version that I like even more...   ...build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day...  ...but set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.  8)

Quote from: jt256 on March 30, 2009, 07:55:35 AMIf anyone else feels they can send me a sample file I'd really be ever so grateful. If you do, I guess in future I might be able to help other newbs down the line.
I don't like to be cynical, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.  :-\
Regards,

Jeff Andrews
Chrome City Studios / FX Models

Mohawk20

Quote from: chromecity on March 30, 2009, 03:16:40 PM
build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day...  ...but set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.  8)

Still not very long though...  ;D

Having just read this whole thread (pretty long fur such a short time), I'm curious.

JT, what do you want to do? What is your goal? Do you need the mountain for something, are you working on a project? If not, why want a TG mountain scene, but don't want to learn the software or anything? Or is this the best way for you to learn stuff? That last one could be a good possibility.
The problem is mostly that you didn't explain your intentions, and people are a bit suspicious lately, because of some stuff with other members.

If you just wanted to show others (like friends or parents or whatever) what a great mountain you made with this software, it wouldn't be nice to showoff the work of others as their own. I wouldn't like to give you the work I'm most proud of just so you can take credit for it...
But if you wanted to test the software, or your pc or something, that would be fine of course.

So please, tell us what your goal is so we can help you in the best way possible, ánd understand it.
Howgh!

Oshyan

While I can't say I really understand or agree with this approach to scene building, I do find the idea that there aren't many easily found resources to be a bit surprising. First of all the File Sharing section is chock full of the building blocks of scenes, or even whole scenes in some cases, usually with image examples, etc. Few people do share their entire scenes, but even those can be had, for free in some cases as in the Terragen.org file library www.terragen.org. High quality "drop-in" scene elements can also be hard for a small charge as in Frank Basinski's growing library of store items: http://nwda.webnode.com/terragen-2-tech-packs/

In the end I'm not sure what is to be gained by slightly tweaking someone else's file. Inevitably there is a lot to learn to get the best results, as with any reasonably capable 3D program.

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

No offense but why not just take the time to learn tg2 a little?  Making a decent mountain scene isn't that hard, and those "my first scene's" often take only 2-3 hours to do if that, while teaching quite a lot.  The learning curve on TG2 is very small compared to most other software, but not as quick as .9.  With tons of new features comes quite a bit more learning what everything is/does/works.  And browsing around the forums often has tutorials on how to do little somethings, piece it together and you get something cool.  Dandelo's library's are very nice and have taught me a little with the node networks as those still confuse me. 

Knowledge doesn't come easy, and these forums are more then willing to help people learn how to do things, but to just hand them straight over you'll hit some resistance as so much help is already available if you just spent some time. 

normhol

There are certainly many egotistical ingrates in this world. It was very rude of jt256 to hit and run and not even say thank you, especially when the sample that domdib provided was so good. I hope this doesn't deter all you other providers of assistance from submitting help for "lurkers" like me.
Cheers,
Norm.

Oshyan

Let's go easy on him. :) Hopefully he's got what he needs and will be back with more in-depth questions!

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Howgh!