Modo 401

Started by rcallicotte, March 25, 2009, 08:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

3ds max still has an enormous lead over modo and probably always will not because its a better program in general but the shear amount of plugins available for 3ds max gives 3ds max near limitless possibilities
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: wetbanana on March 26, 2009, 09:38:05 PM
3ds max still has an enormous lead over modo and probably always will not because its a better program in general but the shear amount of plugins available for 3ds max gives 3ds max near limitless possibilities

3DS Max is an older product that has been around longer than Modo has and so therefore has more 3rd party development such as plugins behind it; this should not be the be all and end all of what software [Any software] should be about.

At the end of the day its all about choice or it should be any way, not about petty "My Software has X,Y,Z features and yours doesn't" bragging rights that's like K-12 aged kids fighting over the best toys in the sandbox: in other words it gets old real quick; or to put it another way its like flogging a horse after its long dead same idea.

All good things come in time not just for those that wait and when Modo gets Animation, Hair and even Cloth simulation all well and good these things will naturally be implemented in a manor consistent with ease of use of the rest of application or there is not point in having them! For the here and now can we just say that Modo is a complement to rather than a replacement for other existing Digital Asset Creation software; all software has its strengths and weaknesses and that as they say is that!

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

rcallicotte

By saying Modo might be the software to have, it doesn't mean not having others.  Anyway, who can afford Max?  I can't.  LOL
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

reck

Just been reading about modo on wikipedia, sounds like it has an interesting history.

One thing that did catch my eye though was that it's renderer actually scales linearly with the addition of more cores. So if you have 8 cores it would render almost 8 times faster than 1 core. I always thought that the more cores you added the less benefit you got from it, with TG for instance once you go above 4 cores to 6 or even 8 you don't actually get the full benefit of all those cores like you do with modo.

I assumed the TG way as the standard way all multi-threaded applications worked due to the overhead of all those cores. But if modo can create a renderer that can scale this well I guess there's hope for us as well.

Here's the actual quote

Quotemodo's renderer is multi-threaded and scales nearly linearly with the addition of processors or processor cores. That is, an 8-core machine will render a given image approximately eight times as fast as a single-core machine with the same per-core speed.

rcallicotte

...and, according to their spokesman, a Nephilim processor will render with 16 individual processes.

domdib

You do mean Nehalem, don't you? In other words, a Core i7 (or its Xeon equivalent)?

reck

Quote from: calico on March 27, 2009, 07:45:28 AM
...and, according to their spokesman, a Nephilim processor will render with 16 individual processes.

But will it render roughly 16 times faster? that's the part I found interesting that it actually scales up almost on a 1:1 ratio.

rcallicotte

Yes, reck, this is what I understand.

domdib, yes.  Nehalem. Ahem.

efflux

Looks cool. I have 203 but never upgraded to 301. There were issues than in my opinion didn't make the upgrade worth it. Sculpting features couldn't compete with the likes of ZBrush or 3D Coat.

Animation needs to get somewhere with 401.

rcallicotte

Check out the modcast with Seneca (from id Software) - http://www.luxology.com/community/  He talks about using Modo to create terrain for their Rage engine.

Oshyan

TG's rendering speed does not scale well with the number of cores, but that is not a fundamental limitation of all rendering methods. Being our first pass at multi-threaded rendering, the current TG2 approach is not optimal. Although I doubt we will get to a true linear speedup with the addition of more cores, I think significant improvements can still be made, especially above 4 cores.

A Core i7 (Nehalem) quad core has 8 threads, but only *4 real cores*. Although Nehalem makes significant improvements in the "hyperthreading" technology used to process more threads per physical core, it will still never be equivalent to a true additional core. So while there may be 8 threads, you would perhaps get performance of 5 or 6 "cores". It's still a big improvement.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

rcallicotte

These presets are amazing.  Check out the latest presets - Presets II

rcallicotte

http://www.luxology.com/modo/401.presets.part.2/

This newest version in tandem with TG2 could give an artist some latitude.