I Have A Confession To Make :(

Started by jackblack, April 02, 2009, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

@Oshyan Re your policy of offering the free version - and also open access to the forums - is for me one of the main reasons that clinched my purchase. I think it's excellent policy and I only hope you continue with it.

rcallicotte

Amen.   ;D

Quote from: domdib on April 04, 2009, 05:29:37 AM
@Oshyan Re your policy of offering the free version - and also open access to the forums - is for me one of the main reasons that clinched my purchase. I think it's excellent policy and I only hope you continue with it.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

arisdemos

I was out one morning broke and somewhat hungry so I picked up a roadkilled bunny I happened to find. I was going about my business of skinning the critter and some city dude wandered into my camp and said "you know those rabbits have deseases that could make people over in my camp sick," and he suggested that I desist in my food preparation and do "what was right." says I "If your so damn worried about getting sick the why in blazes are you moving closer to my camp,just to let me know of your paranoia?" May god save us all from the so called do "gooders" of the world as they mistake people who are hungry or busy as someone who gives a damn about their little crusades to wrest the holy grail of intellectual property rights from the infidels of third world poverty. So I do today as I did then, and throw my rabbit's guts in your face so you will go away!. I pay Planetside for their goods and that is the extent of my interest in their financial circumstances, this forum is where I come to learn a very difficult set of parameters needed to be productive with that product. I don't feel that this so called security business is apropriate in the campground of TG2 education.

folder

i actually feed the opposite, it is appropriate in the campground of TG education - simply because I want the education to continue. Someone stealing their product hurts their resources. another reason is this, as a hobbyist, i could have used the free version forever and lived very happily with its limitations. I purchased the deep version because I want to support a product that I like and that I can grow into if I want to.  Additionally the members of this forum and Planetside staff have become "friends" in the electronic sense. I does me no harm to  help support their endeavours. If i see it on the net or become aware anyone stealing their product, I will tell them. beyound that i will sit back and enjoy the ride.

neuspadrin

Agreed with folder.  This may be a campground of TG education, but its also the OFFICIAL forums, and official campground of education.  We don't really just sit around and go "oh you have pirated copy? no worries, heres a few tutorials on how to use it."  We want people to buy the software if they want to use the features that come with it.  You can do plenty with the free version.

I played around with the free version for awhile, until I got to where I wanted to be able to do better renders and more populations of objects.  It was definitely worth the price to me even though I don't have any commercial profit from it. 

Also Planetside does have very awesome student prices that I didn't even know about when I first purchased it (which made me happy being a college student and all), and gave me a reason to upgrade to animation too ;) I have yet to really use the animation abilities but I plan to soonish.

PG

I actually really love these kinds of discussions :D. I think, because we've grown with this product, several of us visiting the forum many times a day, that we feel a need to protect it. Same with everything. If you bought sweets for you and your friends to share you wouldn't want random people to just come and grab your watch. ok it's a loose analogy and I'm not entirely sure it has any point...hmm.

@neuspadrin: can't spell your name without looking ;D the animation module will be brilliant for you when it comes out then. At the minute it's pretty tricky to create smooth changes to clouds and things but the animation module will, hopefully, provide a much friendlier interaction. And yet another reason to just buy the software, because it'll be provided free, and you won't be able to get it through pirate copies.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

neuspadrin

hah, im used to it.

but yeh currently the limited animation i've done, i've used terranim just to play around (thus my creation of terranim2chan in the download section).  I can't wait til the animation module is out too for some real fun :) .

nixx

Quote from: arisdemos on April 04, 2009, 01:32:22 PM
I was out one morning broke and somewhat hungry so I picked up a roadkilled bunny I happened to find...

What ? Please. I didn't know you needed to use pirated software to survive.

Touching story. Ridiculous analogy though.
I 'm child, and man, then child again; the boy never gets older

FrankB

Quote from: arisdemos on April 04, 2009, 01:32:22 PM
I was out one morning broke and somewhat hungry so I picked up a roadkilled bunny I happened to find. I was going about my business of skinning the critter and some city dude wandered into my camp and said "you know those rabbits have deseases that could make people over in my camp sick," and he suggested that I desist in my food preparation and do "what was right." says I "If your so damn worried about getting sick the why in blazes are you moving closer to my camp,just to let me know of your paranoia?" May god save us all from the so called do "gooders" of the world as they mistake people who are hungry or busy as someone who gives a damn about their little crusades to wrest the holy grail of intellectual property rights from the infidels of third world poverty. So I do today as I did then, and throw my rabbit's guts in your face so you will go away!. I pay Planetside for their goods and that is the extent of my interest in their financial circumstances, this forum is where I come to learn a very difficult set of parameters needed to be productive with that product. I don't feel that this so called security business is apropriate in the campground of TG2 education.

I must say this: .... I have been reading this post like 5 times, but now I have figured you out. Lot's of words for a simple thing to say, disguising a truly emotional message between 10 times as many fill words, but I have figured you out. Aris, you are a certified poet, aren't you? Tell me I've got you! ;D

Frank

arisdemos

Everyday of our existence some poor sad bastard inventor or designer has his ideas that perhaps took him a lifetime to workout are stolen from him by some rotten corporation's team of legal card cheats (sometimes called lawyers by those who hate them less than I). Not one public tear is ever shed as their family's starve and their hearts flicker out from the stress.  So if some poor down and outer happens to find  a way to make something beautiful out of my talented mind's leavings, "What me Worry."

Jack

Quote from: arisdemos on April 04, 2009, 06:04:57 PM
Everyday of our existence some poor sad bastard inventor or designer has his ideas that perhaps took him a lifetime to workout are stolen from him by some rotten corporation's team of legal card cheats (sometimes called lawyers by those who hate them less than I). Not one public tear is ever shed as their family's starve and their hearts flicker out from the stress.  So if some poor down and outer happens to find  a way to make something beautiful out of my talented mind's leavings, "What me Worry."
and how is this related to terragen? :-\
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

arisdemos

The subject was Terragen 2 security problems that some say are threatening the functional stability of the software users and Planetside's economic future, and my argument though somewhat convoluted is that I would like to see less security BS and more of TG2 educational content here. Is that a plain enough connection to Terragen for you?

nixx

Quote from: arisdemos on April 04, 2009, 06:45:01 PM
The subject was Terragen 2 security problems that some say are threatening the functional stability of the software users and Planetside's economic future, and my argument though somewhat convoluted is that I would like to see less security BS and more of TG2 educational content here. Is that a plain enough connection to Terragen for you?

That's the nice thing about web-based discussion boards : You can choose to ignore/not follow threads you don't like or find uninteresting.
I 'm child, and man, then child again; the boy never gets older

cyphyr

Quote from: nixx on April 04, 2009, 06:59:05 PM
Quote from: arisdemos on April 04, 2009, 06:45:01 PM

That's the nice thing about web-based discussion boards : You can choose to ignore/not follow threads you don't like or find uninteresting.
hehe haha

lock please

richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Yeah, I think this conversation has run its useful course. Bottom line: piracy = bad, registering Terragen = good, even if you've pirated it previously. ;D

Thanks,

Oshyan