Bugs with 2.0.1.1

Started by PorcupineFloyd, April 03, 2009, 09:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

have you tried maybe redownloading, completely uninstalling, reinstall?

PorcupineFloyd

Yes I did. I've also tried cleaning the registry after uninstalling to ensure proper and clean installation.

I don't know if all of those three problems persist  on my laptop as I haven't checked all of them yet, but so far - I was also unable to save .tgd file on drives root folders. What worries me more now are those rendering problems and crashes after loading .obj files.

rcallicotte

Have you confirmed your threads are setup correctly?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PorcupineFloyd

You mean this?

QuoteIt recognizes the cores without any problem, but yes - I've tried forcing TG2 to 4 cores with no difference.

(...)

I've also tried setting threads on 1/4, 1/2 and 1/3 but the problem still persists.

rcallicotte

Yes, except did you try 1 / 1?

What does the splash screen say about the number of threads it recognizes?

PorcupineFloyd

Splash screen says that TG2 detects four cores.

I've just checked 1/1 and it looks like it's free from errors. I've tried rendering a couple of scenes with low detail on threads set on 1/1 and not a single one produced this error.

rcallicotte

Sounds like a bug...but, maybe Planetside should delve into it deeper.  Glad it's working, but with only one thread (boo).

PorcupineFloyd

It is working on four threads but with higher detail. Rendering at last 0.5 gives no errors. It only matters in case of low quality previews.

I'll try to force four cores and see if it makes any difference.

Oshyan

The saving to root bug we have reproduced and will address. The others I can't currently reproduce. The detail problem is particularly puzzling and troubling. Please do continue to investigate. I'll try to reproduce on my end.

Does the render error always occur at the same place in the render at a given detail level? If you could save a TGD that exactly and consistently reproduced it and send it to us that would be extremely helpful. Also can you give more information about your system?

- Oshyan

PorcupineFloyd

The render error happens usually on the last tile and it's very random. I can send you a .tgd but I'm experiencing it even on a plain, default scene.

I'll try to do some testing with forced 4 cores.

My specs:

Vista x64
Q6600
8 GB DDR2
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
GeForce 8800 GTS

Btw. I've left my PC on for a night to render just to discover a blue screen after I woke up. That's something really rare and I wonder if it's uTorrent or TG2 itself.

rcallicotte

@PorcupineFloyd - I hate to say it, but I think you might have bigger troubles than TG2.  I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

PorcupineFloyd

I doubt it.
The problems started after installing TG2 2.0.1.1 and have never happened before.

I've tried rendering a simple, procedural scene in 3000 x 2000 twice and I've got the same ending - blue screen.

There are no crashes with other software that I'm using, even those CPU intense like Vue or L3DT. Games are smooth and steady too. I've also done a scan with Spybot S&D and Kaspersky AV with no positives.

So, my newest error discovered happens when I'm trying to render a scene (see attached .tgd) with 3k x 2k resolution. It ends with a blue screen with an error message (see attached .jpeg).

neuspadrin

From what I can tell, the blue screen tells us:

System Thread Exception Not Handled
Memory Access Violation
and then where it happened.

Usual causes are with drivers and such.  When was the last time you checked that your drivers were up to date? Like graphics and the such.

PorcupineFloyd

Graphics are latest (yesterday or something). Don't know about the rest but I'll check that out.

Oshyan

Causing a bluescreen is extremely unlikely for *any* software application is less there is some more serious underlying problem, e.g. drivers, hardware, etc. While I understand you haven't had any other problems to this point and it would seem very coincidental that the issues started right when the new version of TG2 was installed, it may simply be uncovering problems that already existed (or it may indeed be a coincidence and unrelated to TG2). Not to say that it's impossible for TG2 to be at fault, but considering these problems are so serious and have thus far not been possible for anyone else to reproduce, it does seem unique to your system.

While I understand it's a lot of additional work, I would recommend going back to basic hardware diagnostics to begin with. The first place I'd check is memory. Download Memtest86+, burn the ISO image to a bootable CD, then overnight run a scan and see if there are any errors. If so it's definitely not a TG2 issue. If that passes fine then I'd recommend some kind of system stress test, either OCCT (based on Linpack)  or Prime95. If you can run a stress test successfully for a few hours, I'd be a lot more inclined to think it's a TG2-specific thing.

- Oshyan