TG 2 manual - PDF

Started by RobbyS, April 25, 2009, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbyS

Hi,

I wanna know whre is the download link for the manual? Another question would be if there will be a german manual too? I prefer this language  ;)

schmeerlap

Manual?
What Manual?
User Manual?
On the 22nd of Feb I asked Matt if a User Manual would be ready for the final release (which was supposed to be some time in March).
His answer on the same day was succinct and to the point: "Yes it will."
I wasn't referring to a Node Reference.
The Terragen 2 User Guide link at Planetside Help directs you to what's available here in the Documentation section. Much of this online documentation is still in the same state of "In Progress" that it was a couple of years ago.
So, no completed User Manual (in any format, or any language) yet.

There's a Kinks song that expresses my state of mind on that . . . . Now, how does it go?
"So Tired, Tired of Waiting, Tired of Waiting For You-hoo-hoo."

Hah, you go'rra laugh.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Hetzen

I've got to agree. This is the weekest point at the moment for me. Most answers can be found within the forums, but that's often a pain to search for, especially when clarification is usually hidden within other topics.

I'm sure it would take a dedicated day to sort it out Planetside side of things. How about it guys?

Maybe, and this is only a suggestion, we create a sticky topic here, so that when we find something with missing info, we can chime in with the relative infomation, to make life a little easier for PS to pull their fingers out ;)

RobbyS

<quote>...The User Guide is a single document that gives an overview of all the major work areas of Terragen 2 and how to construct a basic scene. It is designed to be read through completely over time. Download the User Guide in PDF Format and get started right away!</quote>

... I dont want nothing more .

Oshyan

The documentation is my responsibility. Unfortunately I had major hardware problems with my laptop a week or so before release and I had been stupid and not backed up the latest files to another system. No data was lost, but I have only just gotten my laptop working again. So the completed manual will be available soon, and I apologize for the delay. The updates to the node reference will follow, although that will still take a bit more time to be completed due to the need for input from other team members.

Your patience and understanding is appreciated!

- Oshyan

Hetzen

Duly noted Oshyan.

But I seriously think with just a well defined list of what parametres are supposed to do, you'll get an explosion of what possibilities this program can do. Especially since you've now gone live with the product!

Seriously guys, having a picture of the GUI box with empty descriptions is not any sort of reference. I love this program, but sometimes I wonder how much time I should invest in it, in fear of it only to fall on the way side. Which would be a real shame considering the potential you have here.

Oshyan

I certainly agree that the documentation is important, and it will be available soon. But I must say I think sometimes people expect too much documentation, as if it will be able to tell them how to do everything they want to do. Just knowing what a particular setting controls obviously does not tell you that, and with the nearly infinite possibilities in TG2, it would be impossible to document even a fraction of what you can do, let alone how to do it.

I think those people who already have a sense of how TG2 works will be empowered by more node documentation (which is coming), but the people that really need help are those at a more basic level. The User Guide will hopefully provide that. We expect to get a lot of people new to TG2 now that the product is finalized and being marketed more widely, so that is our short-term focus.

The other challenging aspect is simply one of time. I have been the primary author of TG2 documentation to date, aside the function nodes which Jo Meder has mostly written. While I do have a pretty good understanding of most nodes and settings, there are some key areas that even I don't know enough about to write authoritatively - Intersect Underlying, for example. This is an area of functionality that really only Matt can fully describe, as he wrote the systems that control it. Matt has obviously been busy with the critical elements of core development for a long time, and hasn't had much time to contribute to the documentation. Even now he and Jo both are dedicating time to post-release bug fixes, so time for other things is still limited. In the near future he will be able to put some time into those more complicated or obscure areas of TG2 settings, and this will complete the node reference and other documentation. But obviously there is a lot more to be filled-in in the meantime (most of it simply needing to be converted, which has been delayed due to the laptop issues I mentioned), and as I have said that is coming soon.

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

Quote from: Oshyan on April 26, 2009, 07:39:31 PM
I think those people who already have a sense of how TG2 works will be empowered by more node documentation (which is coming), but the people that really need help are those at a more basic level. The User Guide will hopefully provide that. We expect to get a lot of people new to TG2 now that the product is finalized and being marketed more widely, so that is our short-term focus.

I have noticed an increase in new forum goers past 2 weeks or so.