New "ray detail region" setting?

Started by Seth, April 03, 2009, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

I am just testing it now but I believe that setting detail to camera is also intended to fix the problem where the global illumination didn't match if a small crop render was made to repair a displacement cut off or to allow an object to me moved slightly without re-rendering the whole scene.  Often the colours of the cropped region could be significantly different.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on April 03, 2009, 06:14:35 PM
I am just testing it now but I believe that setting detail to camera is also intended to fix the problem where the global illumination didn't match if a small crop render was made to repair a displacement cut off or to allow an object to me moved slightly without re-rendering the whole scene.  Often the colours of the cropped region could be significantly different.

That's correct, this new function should aid in this.

Aagam

This is going to be really useful. I was making a VR earlier of a few planets and when I stitched the images, the front panel and bottom panel had different shadows, resulting in an obvious light-line between the two images. Hope this fixes that problem.

Aagam

I tried to render two areas again, however I"m still getting a problem. The attached picture showed the obvious stitch. I turned this ray detail region setting to Camera. What else do I need to do?

Tangled-Universe

How did you configure the setting?

Aagam

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 05, 2009, 04:44:02 PM
How did you configure the setting?

Under the Render node I went to Advanced > Ray detail region > Detail in Camera. I assume there's something else I need to do...

Tangled-Universe

And you increased the value to >0 I suppose? Hope you don't mind I ask this stupid question :)

By the way, I think you should use detail in crop region, since you're rendering crops. Then increase the padding to 1 and you should be fine.
Also, even with this function seams can still occur.

Aagam

Alright I"ll give that a go. I'm actually making a QTVR so 6 full renders, just changing the camera angle. I haven't had any seem problems yet... just with this scene. Thanks though.

rcallicotte

@Aagam - I saw something similar with the exact same stitch in the exact same place.  May be a coincidence.  Please let us know what you find out.  When I followed what TU mentioned here about the setting of Detail in Crop Region and a little padding, I didn't see that again.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

That's good to hear Calico, because I wasn't entirely sure either.

Oshyan

This setting may not fix all problems, but hopefully it will help in many of these kinds of situations.

- Oshyan

Aagam

Still having troubles. I don't know if I"m doing something wrong, but when I stitched the VR together, this is what I got:
http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/agam/QTVR/testvr.mov

As you can see, the stitches on the planet are mostly visible where the front cube fuses with the bottom, and the front side to the right. I don't know why the lighting changes so drastically. The only setting I touched in these renders was the camera and that's it :(

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Aagam on April 09, 2009, 05:26:57 PM
Still having troubles. I don't know if I"m doing something wrong, but when I stitched the VR together, this is what I got:
http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/agam/QTVR/testvr.mov

As you can see, the stitches on the planet are mostly visible where the front cube fuses with the bottom, and the front side to the right. I don't know why the lighting changes so drastically. The only setting I touched in these renders was the camera and that's it :(

The camera-change could well be THE reason why there are differences, since this can influence the GI-calculations quite some. You make a new POV and the lighting differs from the previous POV. GI will then be calculated accordingly and this could result in differences. Even with ray detail padding this may not be solved. Unless you can increase and use that value beyond 1 to make it cover 2 frustums.

Aagam

Yea that makes sense. It's just weird cause I've made other VRs with no trouble... I only get this problem if the camera is past the atmosphere of the planet. By the way, awesome gallery T-U.