Weird symbols in path - TG2 crash

Started by PorcupineFloyd, April 13, 2009, 08:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcupineFloyd

I've been struggling with a weird error of TG2 crashing while I was trying to save .tgd after loading some models. I thought that it's a matter of new TG2 version, but after some research I've found that a "&" in directory name was causing this.

It looks like TG2 can't handle specific symbols in file or directory names and crashes while saving project file. That's weird as it opens the file, which is located under directories with weird characters, without any problem at all, but crashes into OS right after I try to save a .tgd.

I think that it might have something to do with xml structure or some internal saving mechanism. After all - it's not a problem as you just need to change a directory (or file) name so it doesn't contain any weird characters, but I think there should be some blocking mechanism so crashes won't occur.

rcallicotte

Is this happening in the latest patched version of the newest version?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PorcupineFloyd

It happened in 2.0.1.1 and it happens also in 2.0.2.1, however I'm pretty sure that this problem appeared also in beta or even pre-beta releases.

I thought that it's connected with TG2 final release but it looks like I was doing some HDD stuff cleaning at the same time when TG2 2.0.1.1 appeared. I moved some of my models to directory structure containing "&" sign and didn't realized that it could be a problem, but today I wanted to do some rendering in TG2 and I was absolutely mad with that error so I've decided to make a bit more researching in this matter and finally - I've found that this "&" was causing all the trouble.

sjefen

Yes. This was a problem with the earlier versions as well.
I remember this from way back.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

jo

Hi,

We have been aware of this for a while but weren't able to address this yet. I'll look into it soon.

Regards,

Jo

mogn

This certainly is an old error. Also don't use "/" in shader names, since this will confuse the internal name searching.

jo

Hi,

I've fixed the crash with ampersands.

The behaviour which mogn mentions with "/" is not a bug as such. Nodes are kept track of using paths similar to file paths, and the "/" character is used to break the path up into separate components. If you use "/" in a node name that will cause problems with the node network. We should really be filtering out the use of "/" characters in node names though.

Regards,

Jo

rcallicotte

I remember naming conventions for file names.  We only used '_'.  That's it.  And letters and numbers, of course.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PorcupineFloyd

This is great news Jo!

I'll keep my directory names clear anyway ;)

sjefen

Hi Jo,

This is a little bit of topic, but what about "dot" and "comma"?
I like to use comma instead of dot. It goes a lot faster, but right now that is not possible.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Cyber-Angel

Am I correct in saying that in some language systems that it is common linguistic practice to use a comma rather than a dot for the separation of numbers? I am surprised that this is not supported already, maybe some thing for the future!  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

jo

Hi Terje,

Quote from: sjefen on April 14, 2009, 01:56:39 PM
This is a little bit of topic, but what about "dot" and "comma"?
I like to use comma instead of dot. It goes a lot faster, but right now that is not possible.

Well, Matt chose it, but I believe it's a slash because it mirrors the file path concept. It's also not a character which is allowed in file names on Windows or the Mac OS, so that also matches that concept. I can't see it being changed at this point.

Regards,

Jo