well yeehaa..the penny is starting to drop..

Started by jimjabbo, April 18, 2009, 05:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimjabbo

yowsers...9 hours later and a LOT of experimentation later on an "old"...makes me laugh...2.8ghz P4 wiv 512 ram..hey!..its all I can afford at the mo...kk...but i am finally seeing the light..at first I thought.."Oh no..they have gone and screwed terragen with overkill sophistication"...but..well..um...I still miss the tg1 terrain sculpting tool....hmmm...byes...

jimjabbo

My 3rd render..still sooo much to learn about tg2 but does it have the left/right mouse button sculpting tool like the original TG?

Zylot

No it does not, you'll want a 3rd party app like Worldmachine for heightmaps..   most of TG2 is procedural.

Also, not bad renders, and congratz on beating me out, I thought my machine was the 'oldest' one here ;)

neuspadrin

The closest thing with painting on terrain now is to use a surface shader for displacement with a painted shader used to distribute it.  depending on how you set the flow rate on the brush etch, and how much displacement you want, you can change how it looks.  

heres a basic showing off of it.  so instead of left/right click, you use the painted shader paint/erase modes.  

but other then that only real choice is to use 3rd party.

or you can even create your terrain with old school tg, then export it.  or create your own terrain in some graphics program like photoshop or gimp and import as bmp terrain.

Oshyan

The Painted Shader in TG2 is almost a direct replacement for the old sculpting tool, and a whole lot more powerful besides. It's trickier to use of course, but it can mask surfaces, clouds, virtually anything, in addition to displacing the terrain, so it's well beyond TG 0.9 at this point. Some better built-in heightfield sculpting tools would be nice though.

- Oshyan