Bounding box bug in 3D preview window

Started by Mohawk20, April 20, 2009, 02:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

The title says it...
I downloaded a StarTrek Enterprise E model, and wanted to see what it looked like raw after obj conversion.

I wanted an orbital view so I put the objects some place above the planet. But it seems that the distance from the planet was to big, so I started getting some never before seen funkyness.
While moving the preview camera around the bounding box the boxes were constantly skewed to various non rectangular shapes.

I made a screen capture avi of it, which you can download here (2Mb, XVid codec).
Any idea what causes this?
Howgh!

PG

That looks freakin' bizarre. It's like it's changing position ever so slightly. graphics drivers and all that fine? What happens to them if you pause the preview then move?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

As you can see, the preview is paused...
And I didn't see it when I selected the objects at the worlds origin. I only happens at a great distance from the 0,0,0 origin.
Howgh!

PG

Oh yeah :D. It keeps flicking back to the saved camera position too. hmm..quite odd, have you reinstalled it and all that gumph? Also, wild stab in the dark but is line smoothing turned on? Video's not that clear but it looks like it is, might be worth giving it the old switch off-eroony
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

jo

Hi,

Quote from: PG on April 20, 2009, 05:39:02 PMAlso, wild stab in the dark but is line smoothing turned on? Video's not that clear but it looks like it is, might be worth giving it the old switch off-eroony

The line smoothing preference only applies to the network view. It does look like the bounding box in the 3D Preview is smoothed though, I'm not sure why.

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

This looks like an accuracy issue since it seems related to distance from origin. I don't think the clipping plane distances apply at all to this, but just for an experiment, try adjusting them with the [ and ] key (decrease and increase respectively). This may ultimately just be one of those things that comes with the very large scales used in TG2 though. Hopefully we can find ways to tackle those in the future.

- Oshyan

Matt

It's almost certainly the same reason as this:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6038.msg63884#msg63884

You can't use small objects at huge distances from the origin. Most 3D apps will have similar problems, at least in their OpenGL previews. You could try putting your object near 0,0,0 and then move the planet far away.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mohawk20

Thanks Matt.
The strange thing is that I haven't had this problem before.

I have played with multiple planets before, all big ones, and had them show the bounding box. It never fluctuated like this in the beta's...
Howgh!

Matt

Do you still have the beta installed? Can you test with that?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rcallicotte

It's my less informed opinion (I've seen this a few times already, since the new version came out) that allowing all textures of objects into TG2 is causing memory shenanigans.  In other words, stuff like this didn't happen before in the Beta, because we weren't using all of that RAM like we are now. 

All of the associated problems with odd bugs tend to gravitate toward having objects in the image.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Oh, I just noticed, I was working in the 2.0.1.1 build. I will try in the last beta (1.10.x.x), but can't upgrade to 2.0.2.1 because I'm halfway into a render...
Howgh!