gerneral questions from a newbi

Started by goffb, April 25, 2009, 07:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goffb

I've just started with TG2 and have some gerneral questions:

-can somehow (plugin) animated skined objects, like a human walking be imported?
-can trees and plants somehow be animated to create wind effects
-Is it possible to have the preview show more of an imported .obj object than just the boundingbox?

Thanks

neuspadrin

From what I know, no to all of those.  There are no tg2 plugins yet, but planetside has stated they will release some sort of thing where it will be possible to create plugins like tg .9.

With those plugins it might be someone out there who does create the features you want, and some might even be on planetsides todo list of features to continue adding.

buzzzzz1

I think Vue will do all those things.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

BangelOz

That's right. vue imports whole poser-scenes with animations, the 3d preview can be very detailed and the trees can have wind effects(but only with the special vue format solid growth plants .veg)
Hopefully the time will come planetside adds such features too. but be careful: the low-price versions of vue can't import automatically and a lot of other functions are missing, too - the price is rising fast!)

At this point can somebody say something about the .tgo format? What are the benefitz to the lot of existing formats like obj, lwo, 3ds....? Are there any free viewers that can read .tgo files?

neuspadrin

TGO viewer / export to other (can't save as tgo):
http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/

As for benefits, it has to do with how tg knows the internal network of the obj i believe.

BangelOz

Thanks for the link neuspadrin, but unfortunately the viewer isn't free. My only use for this viewer would be to look what object is in the .tgo-file. I hope planetside will add such an object-browser in next versions to make it easier for us to find the right object to load.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: BangelOz on April 25, 2009, 11:12:19 AM
Thanks for the link neuspadrin, but unfortunately the viewer isn't free. My only use for this viewer would be to look what object is in the .tgo-file. I hope planetside will add such an object-browser in next versions to make it easier for us to find the right object to load.

What I do is load the object (be it tgo or obj) into terragen make any adjustments such as loading all the bump and alpha maps. Save the altered object as tgo. Then do a small render of the object and save the image to the object folder. Then if I forget what exactly the object is I have the sample image for quick viewing. not as convenient as in Vue but hey it works.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

neuspadrin

same, i have a folder of the objects rendered, with the image named after the object. i can easily sift through and find what i want, what it looks like, etc.

BangelOz

A good idea. I have also been thought to create a catalog(not only for TG), but it's a never ending work especially the updates.

Oshyan

Animated object shapes (vertex modification) is not currently possible, though it's something we will look at in the future. So this includes no ability to create "wind" effects currently. We do also intend to add wireframe views for objects, at the least.

The TGO format's main advantage is that any surface modifications you make in TG2, such as adding procedural texturing or displacement, is maintained in TGO since it is a TG2-specific format.

- Oshyan