Clouds Recurrence

Started by schmeerlap, April 27, 2009, 09:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

As I understand it the cloud recurrence in the Generate Clouds parameters is not enabled (greyed out). Yet I find someone at Renderosity recommending a particular setting for Cloud Recurrence. Could someone confirm whether this particular parameter is enabled or (as it appears to me) disabled, or never was activated.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

neuspadrin

it looks greyed out, but you can still move the slider/press the +/- buttons.

schmeerlap

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2009, 10:49:52 AM
it looks greyed out, but you can still move the slider/press the +/- buttons.
I know you can. However, if you move your cursor over the value input box of the Persistence parameter, a description indicator appears telling you what it does (Set the roughness or granularity of the clouds). If you move the cursor over the value input box of the Recurrence parameter, no description indicator appears. This leads me to believe this function hasn't been activated by Planetside.
I tried different settings of Recurrence (-100, 0, 100) to see if I could distinguish a difference in the rendered clouds, but it's hard to tell as you always need to hit the Generate Clouds button to activate the change, and of course when you do that you get another random cloud configuration.

John

Cyber-Angel

Where do I find this Recurrence parameter in the clouds I can not see any thing with that name, is is called some thing else?  ???

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

schmeerlap

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on April 27, 2009, 12:56:54 PM
Where do I find this Recurrence parameter in the clouds I can not see any thing with that name, is is called some thing else?  ???

Bring up Cloudscape dialog box.
click on Generate Clouds button.
this brings up the Cloud Genesis dialog box.
where you will find the Persistence and Recurrence parameter input sliders.

John

Cyber-Angel

OK thanks I should have looked to see what forum if was, I was looking in TG2 and not 0.9XX, yes the recurrence name is grey'd out however in you look at the numeric entry box when you move the slider numeric values do appear, and I know form using 0.9XX that that parameter dose work.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D       

schmeerlap

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on April 27, 2009, 01:12:53 PM
however in you look at the numeric entry box when you move the slider numeric values do appear      
Yes, as I've said above, I know values do appear.
But:
(a) Why, when you hover the cursor over the box where you insert values for Recurrence, doesn't a yellow info label appear telling you what this parameter does? As when you hover the cursor over the Persistence value insert box: "Set the roughness or granularity of the clouds" appears in the form of a yellow info label.
(b) In what way do you know the Recurrence works: i.e. What effect does it have? In the experiments I've done, I haven't noticed any difference, whereas I have noticed the difference made by the Persistence parameters, they do break up the clouds as the yellow labelled guide indicates.

Perhaps someone from Planetside can tell me exactly what (if anything) Recurrence does to change the appearance of the clouds.

John

Oshyan

Persistence does have an effect, but from what I have been able to determine, Recurrance does not. See this previous discussion in the old Terragen Yahoo Group:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/terragen/message/59162

- Oshyan

schmeerlap

Thanks Oshyan.

Went to that link - interesting discussion.

If anyone has been able to discover that Recurrence does actually make a difference to clouds, I'd be interested to hear about the manner of the change they have found. But as it stands, for me, Recurrence is non-active, until proven otherwise.

John