Vietamese Bay

Started by Mohawk20, April 29, 2009, 03:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

I was watching Top Gear while rendering the final crop for my moses scene (which is taking way to long, and I'm getting bored). The last episode of the last season was a trip from south Korea to north Korea on motorcycles. And the episode ended with a view of the north Korean bay where the finish was, at sunset.

I was inspired so I made a little doodle. It took 20 hours to render on less than half a core (because Moses was also rendering on both cores and apparently had higher priority on core use).

I tweaked a powerfractal to look like those weird high islands. Made the Clouds and atmo from scratch, though it does resemble the sky from the Moses scene a bit.
And as everyone is throwing ships into their scenes I thought I'd do the same. Only the model has full wind blown sails, so I need an imagemap to mask the wake (so if anyone has something, let me know).

Howgh!

domdib

jo

Hi,

Was that not a trip in Vietnam? I can't imagine them getting Jeremy to ride motorbikes in another Asian country :-).

Regards,

Jo

tumasch

Very moody! Love it. I think you captured the mountains perfectly.
Décider c'est mourir un peu.

Mohawk20

Quote from: jo on April 29, 2009, 05:45:55 AM
Hi,

Was that not a trip in Vietnam? I can't imagine them getting Jeremy to ride motorbikes in another Asian country :-).

Regards,

Jo

Ah well, something in that region anyways  ;)
Howgh!

cyphyr

Ha long bay possibly :)
Good image, see if you cant get a junk from somewhere to replace the clipper
:)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

More atmosphere samples and it would parfait.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Thanks guys. Atmo is currently at 128, both cloud layers at quality 1.
I changed the name of the topic, to be true to my inspiration  :D

I'll take a look at those junks obj's...
Howgh!

Mohawk20

When I got back from vacation, the next version was finished!
Bigger resolution, more samples, and a better boat!

Comments please!
Howgh!

domdib

Lovely. So just how long was that holiday, and did the render take all that time? You'd better watch, or your computer will be demanding one too ;)

Mohawk20

I was only gone a week.
But the Moses scene is still!!! running (another 400 hours, but don't know why).
The moses scene was running on both cores and took up about 90%, so this scene, on both cores as well, got only 10%. So the render window timer said it had been running for 260 hours, but the task manager cpu timer said it only got 46 hours of cpu time, counting both cores. So 10% of 260 is about 25 hours of real computing time on both cores at once.

So it didn't take that long to render, except for the fact I was rendering something else as well.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Except for the small amount of grain, this is mighty good.   ;D

Moses image has water, right?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Quote from: calico on May 15, 2009, 04:00:52 PM
Except for the small amount of grain, this is mighty good.   ;D

Moses image has water, right?

- Thanks, grain bothers me a bit, as the atmo has 192 samples, and both cloud layers are at 1.5 quality. And render quality is 1 as well...

- It has water, and 2 reflective surface layers and lots of coverage of both... so maybe not that surprising.
Howgh!

MacGyver

I hope it will be finished before judgment day ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine