Little update

Started by old_blaggard, May 05, 2009, 07:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

Hey everybody. It's been a while since I've produced anything that I've shared around here, and there are a few things that I want to let you guys know about that aren't specifically TG related; some excuses, if you will, for not being around so much :P.

Firstly, since last summer, I've been putting together skyboxes in Terragen for a video game being published by some indie German developers. It's not my best work, but I'll link you all to it when it is released so you can check it out ;).

I'm also spending a fair amount of my time on some stuff I'm doing for Xfrog. Can't say a lot more now, but I do have a good excuse for not working with Terragen recently ;).

Right now, I'm on an off campus trip with my school that's about Photography. All of my camera and photography gear was stolen two weeks ago, and I'm only just now getting back in business. Until the end of this week, I'll be in Rome, I'll be in Vienna for a few days in mid-May, Prague until the beginning of June, and then I'll be spending a few days of vacation in Paris after the program ends in Prague. I mention this because, if anyone lives in these areas, it might be fun to meet up and hang out at a café for a while.

After that, though, I'll be rushing back to the states for what is sure to be my best summer ever: I got accepted into an internship at Pixar! I'm convinced that I got in almost completely the strength of my TG skills, so I want to put out a huge thank you to everyone who has advised me and critiqued my stuff. I want to especially thank all of the people who really helped me get started when I first joined Ashundar (now terragen.org) - terrabill, h00nta, wholehog, RealUser, Mandrake, RedSquare, IronGoddess, and many more. Also a huge thanks to all of you for helping me along and keeping the bar set almost unimaginably high. The biggest thanks, though, goes to Oshyan: he has helped me out with everything from my first Terragen scenes to my latest ones, from web programming to photographic advice. In fact, he helped me compose and render the flagship animation that I put on my demo reel that I sent in to Pixar. If you're curious, I've posted the reel to my website: http://www.craftycarpenter.com/pixar/reel_2009.mov (200MB).

That's about it ;). Hopefully things will calm down a little (but not too much!) and I'll be able to get back to rendering again soon.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

WOW!!!  What good news and it is refreshing to hear...except for the camera stuff.  Good luck and keep remembering what gets you there.  This is awesome.

I'm downloading the video now.  Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah, and let us know something about the work you did and / or anything from the game you worked on.

Good luck.  It's been a pleasure getting to know you here.  Arivederchi.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Confusoid

I envy you. Ever since i saw Wall-E i have been trying to get to the Academy of Arts in the bay area sense then and my dream is to work for Pixar. Unfortunately reality and bad circumstances dictates to me otherwise. Good luck with all of that.

otakar

Your gear was stolen in Europe? That's a downer. But congrats on the Pixar engagement, that sounds wonderful. You'll have plenty to photograph in the places you mention, and it's a good thing you are not there in the middle of tourist season. I wish I could be there, but once you get reeled into work life in the States you ain't going nowhere much :( (so enjoy it).

Let us know what the XFrog deal is about, I sense a new online store coming up :)

Oshyan

Glad to see you popping your head back in here for an update. I must say I'm really proud of you getting the Pixar internship, and glad I could help in any way with that. I can't wait to see what comes of everything you're working on. :)

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Exactly, great news!

Let us know what movies you'll be working on  :P

[Edit]
I had a chance to see the anim. Great movement on the planes and ship, and that explosion looks great. Is that you in part 10? And who is that in part 11?
Howgh!

buzzzzz1

Hey, Congratulations on the Internship!  That's a great opportunity.  I'll be looking at credits from now on for your name.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Seth

neuspadrin

congrats on the internship.  should be a lot of fun at pixar.

i myself actually wont be returning to college this fall as i'll be in a coop with ibm until december.

Tangled-Universe

Fantastic news, congratulations and good luck!

Martin

N810

Wow thats Amazing  :o
Congratulations.
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

cyphyr

Pixar and XFrog !!:) you are a dark horse :)
Well done and big gratzz, so pixar is interesrted in TG stuff, hmm interesting :)
Looking forward to seeing more of what your up to:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Saurav

Congrats o_b. All the best. :)

old_blaggard

Thanks everyone :). I'll be sure to keep you all posted on how things progress.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.