Tgo from Xfrog

Started by Deecee4, May 25, 2009, 04:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deecee4

I just have the free 30 day trial of xfrog at the moment, there is no tgo export facility does that come with the paid version, or is there another converter i need?

Walli

just export as obj and use the obj reader of Terragen. If you like to, then you can rightclick this object in Terragen and save as tgo

Deecee4

It may be me doing something stupid, but if i create an obj file with a mat file, terragen is unable to read the mat file, and the tree is just gray, is it better created without a mat file and drag in the textures from xfrog prog, if so how do i split up the tree obj into its various components in terragen?

Walli

are you sure that everything was exported the right way? texture paths probably wrong? Because I have loaed many obj´s directly, although I normally pipe them through Deep Exploration to tidy up the object.

Deecee4

normal export from xfrog , but i have similar probs with obj files from other progs, i have zip file ready to e-mail if you could try it , cant upload as it exceeds allowed size

Oshyan

Xfrog OBJ files should be supported just fine, in fact there's a special Xfrog mode in the OBJ loader (that establishes proper scale). However if you're having problems you can try running your OBJs through Poseray, a free object conversion and adjustment program. http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/
The OBJ format is not strictly adhered to by most programs, so there are many variations. TG2 expects the basic conventions to be followed and when they're not, it can cause problems.

- Oshyan

Walli

yes you can mail me and I will take a look at it

Mr_Lamppost

I doubt it's a texture path problem.  Everything I made with the Xfrog trial came into Terragen no problem.  I just did a quick text, I now have a registered Xfrog but there shouldn't be any difference.

Made a very basic plant.
Applied a couple of random images as textures.
Exported as .obj
Moved .obj and .mtl files to my desktop.
Imported from desktop to Terragen.
Works fine, found all the textures even though their relative paths had changed. 

Must be something else.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Walli

it was a texture path problem ;-) Terragen gets into trouble when path names use special characters like a blank. This is the case when putting your textures inside the "documents and settings/blabla" folder for example

Thelby

I found the textures just fine and I was able to import them on the different parts of a LisaB Tree, if you are familiar with her work at DAZ3D, but when I right-click on the tree I do not see and option to save as a 'TGO' file. I have tried right-clicking in the object tree and directly on the object in the scene  ???

dandelO

You must first select the object node in the network view, so it lights up. Right-clicking it once it's lit brings up a context menu, 'save object file', is the one to go for.
If the node isn't lit by mouse cursor selection, the save option is greyed out.

Thelby

Ahh, Very Simple when you know how  ;D
Thanks So Much Dan!!!

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Walli on May 27, 2009, 02:47:57 AM
it was a texture path problem ;-) Terragen gets into trouble when path names use special characters like a blank. This is the case when putting your textures inside the "documents and settings/blabla" folder for example

I never come across those problems.  I never use any folder or location Microsoft creates and having worked on a cross platform network, PC (Win95), Mac and Unix, learned very quickly about no spaces etc. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.