Can't Export from Terragen 2

Started by Cephei, March 15, 2009, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Unless I'm mistaken, the Farthest Distance is measured in meters. There's nothing to export with your current settings, the terrain is much further from your camera than 0.875 meters. Try something much, much higher. You could also try a lower detail export, 0.25 for example, just to make sure it's not a resolution/detail issue.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Yeah, it's definitely the max distance setting that's messing up your export. Sorry I didn't include that in the explanation, but most of the time the default settings are fine. I should have said not to change them to drastically...

So try a setting of 1e+006, the default. That's 1/6 of the planet's size so it should definitely be enough for this scene. It could probably even be 1000 judging from that screenshot, but better safe than sorry.

Hope that fixed it.
(If it does I think I'll put this explanation up on the wiki so everyone can find it...)
Howgh!

fxmodels

Yes that was it, by setting the distance to 1e+006 I was able to obtain the 1/6 of the planet terrain. But now as with others, I see that there are many MANY holes in the terrain even on camera facing sides. I know that it doesnt show polys that are not visible to the camera but its removing polys visible as well. My view was a high altitude looking down on an approximately 45 angle down.
What can cause that?
Thanks for the help so far.
Marc

Oshyan

At that point try increasing detail. Not sure if there are any other settings that would help. If you really don't need overhangs or the camera-dependent export, I would strongly recommend the Heightfield Export LWO approach as it produces a much more consistent mesh export.

- Oshyan

fxmodels

Hi Oshyan,
Thank you for the reply. I will try increasing detail and I know the LWO export for the Heightfield so I can try to wire that up. Its nice the that positional data for each of the many segments created is remembered. I just load each one in succession to get the final piece. But, when I do that, I notice that the fractal terrain I have in TG2 does not look like what was generated for export. It is two different terrains. How do I get exactly what I generated in TG2?

Also, regarding a version number issue I created a new post  under a different topic...

Thanks,
Marc

Oshyan

If you make significant changes to the terrain *after* your Heightfield Export LWO node, for example in the Shaders group, then the exported terrain will not match your TG2 terrain. It is always recommended to do all major displacement in the Terrain group. If you connect the output of your last displacement-creating shader to the Shader input of a Heightfield Generate, then use Heightfield Export LWO, you should get good results in the export. Remember of course that overhangs can't be exported in this way.

- Oshyan

fxmodels

Hi Oshyan,
Thank you. I will see if I can figure out exactly what you mean and try that in TG2. I will let you know what happens!
THanks,
Marc