Who's going to Glastonbury Festival

Started by cyphyr, May 26, 2009, 08:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

To my mind it boils down to this. Music is about performance. I learnt the hard way about this i.e. gradually moving into technology which puts a wall between you and an instant performance. The final killer was moving to desktop computers and trying to use virtual instruments and plugins. Music is a cathartic experience. It is time related. Anything that gets in the way of this spoils the music. Computers get in the way of this. Even before you hit a note you know that the note will be delayed by the computers latency. Even with a fast computer it is still the case although getting less of a problem now especially on Linux. The problem is largely due to the fact that desktop computers aren't dedicated to audio but also a lack of thinking on part of software developers.

I sold my Mac and Logic to buy a new acoustic guitar which also has an inbuilt fishman pickup and tuner. I can tune in seconds and plug straight in to record without a mic if I desire. This makes picking up the guitar even more instant and crucially more fun. Useful technology.

mr-miley

Inky

Yeah, I've jst discovered them. Nice stuf. Suits my listening taste for trancy type stuff down to the ground  ;D I first heard about the pot head pixies back when I was 16 (wayyyy too long ago) A mate of mine had Flying Teapot (Radio Gnome Invisible Part 3) I don't use this term much (mainly cause its overused) but it was an album that changed my life. Theres still nothing quite like it. Needs to be heard on really good Hi Fi though, to get the best out of it  ;D

Cyphyr

Don't diss the Quo  ;D I saw them in 1983 on their first farewell tour, and sad as it might sound, its still one of the best live gigs I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot) They did a 3 hour set that was outstanding and anyone who says they can only play 3 chords should have seen the 20 minute long version they did of Roadhouse Blues.... they can't half play  ;D

As for electronic music... Yeah, I like a lot of it, been a fan of Tangerine Dream for years, but it has its place and suits certain situations. I listen  to a lot of trancy dancy stuff, most of which can't really be produced any other way. Mind you, as for imitating "real" music, listen to some of Frank Zappas later stuff, especially his classical stuff. All produces on a sinclavier (music computer) Whole orchestras created with samples of real instruments. I can't tell the difference. Mind you, he only did it cause it was costing him a fortune to get real orchestras to reherse his music and they were crap at playing it so he gave up. It could be playe by a live orchestra though.... listen to Yellow Shark.

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

inkydigit

Quote from: mr-miley on May 29, 2009, 04:16:04 AM
Inky

Yeah, I've jst discovered them. Nice stuf. Suits my listening taste for trancy type stuff down to the ground  ;D I first heard about the pot head pixies back when I was 16 (wayyyy too long ago) A mate of mine had Flying Teapot (Radio Gnome Invisible Part 3) I don't use this term much (mainly cause its overused) but it was an album that changed my life. Theres still nothing quite like it. Needs to be heard on really good Hi Fi though, to get the best out of it  ;D...........

Miles
just got my hands on a copy of 'live floating anarchy 1977'(here and now&Gong)....classic stuff!