Ashundar: Where have the members gone?

Started by Cyber-Angel, May 29, 2009, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

Since way before Christmas last year, Ashundar has seen a decline in traffic too the point now where it is a virtual dead zone a lot of the time; there use to be a lot of people over there now there isn't I am trying to ascertain why? Some times when I log on I am the only one there, some times its maybe two other people and that's it.

Has it lost its appeal to people, or is it that people are just too busy with other things such as posting here or some other reason for the decline; its been a good long while since this issue has been raised, just interested in what people think on this.

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel       

Zylot

I dunno, I always drop by, it's my favourite place for TG.  It's just, ashundar usually gets traffic in waves.  Dead for a few months, alive for a few month, at least from what I can remember.  I'd think more folks wouldpost high res high quality images in the gallery through, being as it's not limited like most other places.

Seth

The people I see in Ashuindar are pretty the same than in here, and the renders posted there are posted in here too... that's why I don't come very often.
But there is a very very good object library on Ashundar.
The major point (to me) was the contests, but with 2 or 3 people participating...

Mohawk20

Well, I kind of migrated here. I would check Ashundar first and then go here, but then Ashundar got a little quiet, and I started to check here first, and then Ashundar. But lately I check Ashundar once every few days because the only discussion going on is about modeling, and that isn't going very fast either...
Howgh!

old_blaggard

I think there are a few things going on:

- Lack of participation in contests made many users lose interest after participation dropped to one or two entries per contest.
- Terragen.org is generally more focused on the community than on technical TG discussions - this forum has become the primary repository for TG technical expertise.
- Oshyan and I haven't had time to roll out some of the big changes and additions that we've planned on adding.

There's definitely something to be said for a smaller, tight-knit community of people, but I would also be happy to see more people stop by to check it out and make a post now and then. It has a real gallery system, we still run contests every now and then, and there's definitely plenty of opportunities to get critiques and offer helpful suggestions.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sjefen

I would like to see Ashundar in a new suit. A black one for example :P
It's not the reason I'm not there tho I do find it a little disorderly.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: sjefen on May 29, 2009, 06:55:27 PM

- Terje

Could you perhaps point to examples of this disorder you speak of, sounds interesting? Could you also, if you'd be so kind, define what you mean by "A new suit" do you perhaps mean a new theme?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

dandelO

I log into Ashundar daily. I don't post there much, though. I should, sorry.

I do find the contest threads very hard to follow. There are contest discussion threads/posting threads/image threads all in separate places. This seems counter-intuitive to me.
I'd like one contest thread, maybe a WIP thread in the forums for interaction etc.
I'd like to be involved in the TG.org contests but it's an awful trial for me, finding my way around the threads and knowing where to post what and at what time, as far as I could see the last time I wanted to participate, there were 2 contests running at the same time on different topics. Confusing, now I don't bother. (not that I don't want to, it's contests that got me into TG, proper, in the first place, I think they make you work for your money and are always good for personal reasons too, I'd never have learned about some stuff, had I not been forced into learning it through contests etc.

I don't know about disorder but Ashundar is un-ordered, in my brain. :)
Not to mention the problem with my gallery, it appears I am about 20 people, posting various images to my gallery page.

Cyber-Angel

Following about what old_blaggard said about contests, the one I run the AMFI is still going and welcomes participation every month: for those new to Ashundar and maybe those who have forgotten a little about the AMFI contest:

Every month a new contest will open most of the time with a theme, some times (Every once in a while) not, at the end of posting a voting thread shall be open for one week and then the winner shall be announced and the winning image will posted (When an Administrator is on) on the front page.

If in the event of a tiebreak the following shall have immediate affect:

1: Tiebreak announcement shall immediately be created by the contest moderator and posted in announcement's forum notifying the participating membership of said Tiebreak.

2: Special Tiebreak voting thread (Voting rules apply as per standard voting) for an additional seven (7) days upon announcement of the Tiebreak with links to the two images provided: at the closing of Tiebreak voting the votes shall be tallied, that is the votes in the normal voting thread shall be added to those of the Tiebreak thread the image with the highest vote counts wins. (Except under special provision 1)  

3: The winning image shall be announced.

Special Provision 1: (Contest Moderator Intervention to have a winning image: RE: Moderators Special Privilege)

If it shall be the case wherein there is contest deadlock such as a second Tiebreak or there is no clear winner, the contest moderator shall look at both deadlocked images and make a determination of the winning image.

a. Under Moderators Special Privilege: if at the end of voting there have been no (0) votes for any image entered in the contest then the contest moderator shall thereby chose a winning image.

b. Should there be the case that there is only one vote for one image, that image shall be the default winner    

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel (AMFI Contest Moderator)

sjefen

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on May 29, 2009, 09:13:13 PM
Quote from: sjefen on May 29, 2009, 06:55:27 PM

- Terje

Could you perhaps point to examples of this disorder you speak of, sounds interesting? Could you also, if you'd be so kind, define what you mean by "A new suit" do you perhaps mean a new theme?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

Hi Cyber-Angel,

I was talking about the things dandelO mentioned here.
And yes. By suit, I mean theme :).

We had a small discussion about Planetside changing this forum theme also. For example, a black, clean forum theme is a lot more attractive. At least for me.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

inkydigit

still here(there)....but alot more activity here....check every day or so....

otakar

Well, it's a catch 22, isn't it? People don't drop by because of a lack of new posts and material, and there is this lack because only a few people drop in to participate these days. I guess TG still has quite a limited audience, so the PS forums are still rather neat and you can keep up with it. Should that change I see the appeal of smaller sites rising again...

Cyber-Angel

Well the reason I started this thread in the first place was to see why Ashundar is practically a ghost town these days, and more over what people think are the main things that would get people participating actively there again?

If its a case of the Terragen community becoming smaller then is was in the past, one has too wonder why people are drifting away form Terragen and the misconceptions there is surrounding it etc.

From my recollection the traffic for Ashundar went into free fall about the time is was hacked by that group form Turkey, though before this things where slowing down, but form my recollection things where not as bad as now; I just wonder weather many whom where members did not cheek back when Ashundar was hacked also form recollection Ashundar was down on a number of occasions, this may have also put people off form coming back, this is superposition on my part. ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

buzzzzz1

My guess is that This Forum is the Corner where everyone hangs out. There are TG users that I like to keep up with for inspiration and this where they can usually be found. Also seems Planetside has double the Members.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Oshyan

As the long-time admin of Ashundar, and now Terragen.org, I've seen a lot of ups and downs. I've seen a lot of hacking issues, and often there is a temporary downturn associated with them. But that never equaled a long-term problem before. I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with that. Rather, it is the success and strength of the forums here, an option which has only been available for a couple years, which I think has had the greatest impact. The previous Yahoo list had far less traffic, and at the time that it was the "semi-official" discussion area, the other communities had a lot more activity. It's not just Ashundar that is down to its core members and lesser overall traffic, it's also Terranuts and others as well. I would guess the only separate TG communities that may remain strong are the ones that focus on non-English languages, since this forum is definitely English-centric.

In any case I will be honest, this kind of convergence is something I have always wanted to see, and I am glad of the success of these forums. And I don't just speak as a Planetside employee, but also as a user and yes, even as the admin of Ashundar. Is this redirection of Ashundar "good" for our community there? Potentially not, of course. But for the overall TG community, which both Ashundar and Planetside serve, I think it is a great thing, and that's what's important.

Meanwhile I think Ashundar still has life left in it, it's just a matter of specialization and tending. Both the current primary admins (myself and Old_Blaggard) have had very busy lives lately, so some upgrades we have planned for a long time have not happened. The move from LDU to SimpleMachines Forum was a big positive step, but there's a lot more to do. Seeing that Planetside has a very strong technical community here, as well as a growing Wiki (which I think is at it should be), I think our niche is more in areas where Planetside is less likely to want to be involved; things like file hosting, dedicated galleries, etc. We're also focused on a much smaller and more tight-knit community. And this too will grow and shrink with the semi-random joining and departure of members and the various changes in all their lives. Change is inevitable. I don't think it will be forever, and I am happy to keep Ashundar available for as long as it is useful even for a few people. If it eventually comes down to just being a file resource and gallery, I'm fine with that. If the forum here fulfills the rest of the community's needs, so be it. But somehow I think there will always be a need for "outside" places, smaller communities.

Ashundar, now Terragen.org, will be there for a long time to come yet.

- Oshyan