Rendering Skyboxes. Problems with lighting.

Started by Draigr, November 03, 2011, 09:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Draigr on November 09, 2011, 08:02:48 AM
I'm making the skydome image by projecting a cube with the rendered images mapped to it onto a reflective sphere.

Ok. Thanks for all that Martin. I do have a few questions though. You refer to things I know very little about:

1. What do you mean by "blend them less out in the distance."? In terms of terragen, I have no idea what that means or how to implement it.

2. If I like how clouds are turning out, changing something like the cloud depth/cloud density will completely change the strata. Unlike you, I still don't know a lot about hand building my own clouds in Terragen. I simply having had the time or years to learn all of that. Which means I'm stuck with procedural techniques which take days before I achieve something I'm after. Even if I am quite good at manipulating them in the direction I'm after.

3. You talk about settings outside the norm. What exactly is the norm?

I'm testing your suggestions out now. We'll see what happens. I've scaled everything right back, which means I don't like the clouds as much anymore, but it looks promising.

Hi, I will try to answer/explain:

1) The cumulus layer you have is blended with a distance shader. What I meant to say is to make less thicker and smaller clouds and make them appear closer to the camera. To do this you must tweak that distance shader.
Currently it is set to first 3000m from camera no clouds (nearest colour = black, distance = 3000m) nothing, then from 3000 to 10000m they slowly fade in.
So if you change 3000 to 600 and 10000 to 2000 you'll have a similar falloff, but much closer to the camera.
Thick clouds would obscure the camera, but with thinner clouds at a bit higher altitude will create the same look and a lot cheaper to render.

2) I realize that. It's the difficulty with TG2. You need to start off in the right direction, because if you need to change something quite drastically (like changes cloud depth in this case) the result itself will drastically change as well.
To circumvent these kind of troubles you actually need to think ahead a little and know what problems you might run into and keep that in mind while creating the scene. This is mostly an experience thing, but also a forum-lurking thing. I barely create skyboxes myself, but have read so much (troubles) about it here that I know what to do and especially what NOT to do whenever I would need to make them.

Believe me, I'm not good at hand building clouds at all. I know which strings to pull a bit to get certain clouds, but most of the work is planning and knowledge/experience of the settings and/or the renderer. All to make it as easy as possible and without having to render for too long.
Not an answer which will really help you, but just to show that there really isn't much magic that I'm or others are doing.

3) What I meant to say is that it takes quite some big adjustments to get from the default atmosphere/clouds to the actual result we're seeing now.
By default the atmosphere and clouds don't contain so much contrast because of dense colours (atmo) or thick/dense clouds.
Naturally there isn't so much dynamics anyway, which isn't a real argument, but definitely is a reason why it is so difficult for TG2 to render these skyboxes.

I just saw Kevin posted a link to the render settings recommendations thread which definitely is a must-read.
Also this thread is obligatory for everyone touching TG2:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8300.0

I'd like to encourage you to continue, but perhaps take a step back with something simpler in terms of lighting and atmosphere dynamics.
Get that to work with the aforementioned tips/tricks everybody suggested and develop further from there. We're to help if necessary.

Cheers,
Martin

Draigr

Thanks a lot for that Martin. I appreciate the time and trouble.

I've already been through that thread, I use it regularly in most of my renders, although this one got a bit out of hand, admittedly. Once this term is finished I'm definitely looking into doing a full tutorial. There's not a lot out there, and Terragen seems to go out of its way to make our lives hard. No offense Matt! This program is amazing! But it really, really, has it's flaws sometimes  :-[.

Anyways, delving into things again...

Draigr

Ladies and gentlemen! I am proud to present a nearly postwork ready 4K skybox! Booyah!

Now, obviously there are two tiny seams on the top and the bottom, most likely due to the process I used to create the skybox, but that's fine, they're easy to fix in photoshop. It also obviously not done yet, and while I'm still a noob at Terragen, I know my stuff with photoshop. This will be a purttty baby when I done with it.

So how'd I do it?

got rid of the scene, restarted in another one I made a while ago. Tweaked lighting and atmospherics, set up the camera and started rendering. There's a bit more to it then that, but that's essentially it. I just got sick of the old scene and how badly it was responding to my tweaks, so I quit and restarted. I don't stick with stuff that clearly is not working. Still, the other file makes a good case study of what not to do and the incremental saves are all there. I'll be going back to them later for the tutorial.

I'll put together a tutorial once my current university term is over. I've got a game project to finish, and that's gonna take precedence before I take a crack at what will be the largest and most thorough skybox creation tutorial on the web. Plus, I'll have to make a scene I can walk readers through and so I can duplicate my success reliably, of course. I hate tutorials that take you through it, but fail ultimately to actually create a working product.

Enjoy. Thanks for being so helpful guys, I couldn't have done it without you.

dandelO

I think you done the right thing here, Draigr. I had been looking at your scene too to try and troubleshoot the problems you were finding, I couldn't work out what was wrong with your file at all, it shouldn't have been giving you so many problems. I think TU probably hit the nail on the head with the lack of detail idea but, even then, it really shouldn't have been anywhere near so hard for you to get a pretty basic skybox render done.
I've made quite a few panoramas with TG and I never experienced any trouble at all with the Terragen side of things, worked perfectly every time with no seams or any required overlap, just set up a 90 degree fov and render away. The main problem I had was finding a decent panorama stitching program, which I did in the end. Pano2VR is really great and simple to use.

Glad you got things sorted in the end. :)

AP

I hope we can see a spherical camera in TG soon though. Everyone else has one.

Dune

That looks really good, Draigr. And I'm looking forward to your tutorial.

ps. Funny things happen when you set the camera to really wide angle, like 180 degrees. Until 150 degrees you're safe.

Matt

Detail settings shouldn't be a problem. Contrast in the lighting is also fine - there's no reason why that alone should cause differences between adjacent tiles.

I've taken a quick look at the file you posted, Idyl Lake Shot_0005.tgd, and I see something which might be the culprit. You are using a Distance Shader, which is camera dependent. Normally this would be OK if the camera position remains the same (which it does), but the mode has been changed to "Z Depth (Planar)", which means it gives different results as the camera rotates. You could fix this by changing it back to the default mode of "Distance (Spherical)".

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on November 11, 2011, 09:45:20 PM
Detail settings shouldn't be a problem. Contrast in the lighting is also fine - there's no reason why that alone should cause differences between adjacent tiles.

I've taken a quick look at the file you posted, Idyl Lake Shot_0005.tgd, and I see something which might be the culprit. You are using a Distance Shader, which is camera dependent. Normally this would be OK if the camera position remains the same (which it does), but the mode has been changed to "Z Depth (Planar)", which means it gives different results as the camera rotates. You could fix this by changing it back to the default mode of "Distance (Spherical)".

Matt

Ah of course, I completely missed that :)

I do wonder though why many of these skybox threads show the same problems between tiles, mostly related to contrast in lighting. Why does it often work better when the lighting has less contrast? Also why would detail not be a problem with 0.19 detail setting?
There should be an "ideal" way to render these things, which logically would be a spherical cam or skybox function, but without it there must be some kind of general approach which should point one into the right direction?

Cheers,
Martin

Matt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 12, 2011, 02:52:44 AM
I do wonder though why many of these skybox threads show the same problems between tiles, mostly related to contrast in lighting. Why does it often work better when the lighting has less contrast?

In those cases I think it's either GI or Acceleration Cache. Those are still the only problems I'm aware of.

Also why would detail not be a problem with 0.19 detail setting?

Detail doesn't affect clouds at all if Ray Trace Atmosphere is on and there is no GI and cloud acceleration caches are disabled. It would affect detail on the terrain and water, but only the detail. Not overall contrast or general lighting. Detail is supposed to be scalable, so there is nothing "wrong" with using a detail of 0.19.

There should be an "ideal" way to render these things, which logically would be a spherical cam or skybox function, but without it there must be some kind of general approach which should point one into the right direction?

There are many threads on the subject, and the same recommendations come up, but some official documentation on it would be useful.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.