lights shining through the terrain

Started by mr-miley, June 18, 2009, 11:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-miley

Hi all. I have a bit of a problem. I'm working on a scene at the moment that has no sun, but 3 lightsources, behind a hill (ie. the hill is between the camera and the 3 lightsources). To get the level of light I need I have ramped each light up to 122382 strength (and they could probably do with going up more. Lightsources in TG2 aren't very..... bright) My problem is this. They are shining through the terrain  >:( as per the old sun below the horizon problem. Before anyone asks, yes, I have checked the "Enable Ray Traced Shadows" in the Atmosphere. It hasn't made any difference  :( I can't post any examples as I am  7odd hours through a test crop render (quality of atmo) and have no intention of stopping it till its done  ;D

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. Does the "Enable Ray Traced Shadows" in the Atmosphere only relate to the Sun?

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

j meyer

Hi,
don't know about the "ERTS",but iirc someone managed to stop the
light through problem by making the surface reflective.At least it's
worth trying,i guess.

domdib

Just to be clear, you've also got ray traced shadows enabled in the extras tab of the renderer? I often switch it off to speed up test render times.

mr-miley

domdib. Just checked and yeah, it is checked in the renerer as well.

j meyer. Hmmmm..... reflective.... interesting. I may give that a go, though I'd hate to think what it would do to render times  :(

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Seth

do you have clouds ?
if so, you have to check the raytrace in them too

Oshyan

Seth, not for lights shining through terrain. Miles, can you post a rendered image, or better yet a TGD?

- Oshyan

Matt

Seth is correct, if the clouds are where the lights are shining through (in front of the hill). Clouds and atmosphere are very similar in terms of how they are rendered and lit.

Also, make sure the shadows are enabled on the lights themselves.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Ohhh, you mean if the cloud is in-between the camera, the terrain, and the light source (in front of terrain, closest to camera)? OK, yes, that makes sense. ;D

- Oshyan