The Floating Islands

Started by deepdish, June 18, 2009, 07:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepdish

Render time: 3:47

I kinda like this one, just messing with displacements and trying to do good clouds (failing)

neuspadrin

clouds still feel a little tf2'ey :P

deepdish

Quote from: neuspadrin on June 18, 2009, 08:14:46 PM
clouds still feel a little tf2'ey :P

I know :(  I lowered the edge sharpness too much methinks. But I didn't want grainy clouds :(

neuspadrin

if you want to learn clouds real well, learn from the awesome masters at nwda

http://nwda.webnode.com/terragen-2-preset-packs/

a non comercial license on one of the cloud packs could probably teach you a ton at a very low price.  i have a few of them and poking around the node network and checking out their values help to learn.

deepdish

Zairyn Arsyn

i like the displacements, & the water
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

deepdish

Thanks, it's my first time making surfaces "rocky" through displacements :D

EoinArmstrong

Nice water, concept and colours - I wouldn't be a huge fan of those clouds, but that's prob just personal taste

domdib

The islands are good, and the water. With improved clouds (I'd second neuspadrin's suggestion - and also dig into the cloud library in the file sharing section) it would be a winner.

inkydigit

agree about the clouds....water is good as is the concept...are the islands giant fake stones?

MacGyver

Everythings totally fine, it would be great with some clouds from the cloud section as domdib said :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

deepdish

Quote from: inkydigit on June 19, 2009, 08:55:08 AM
agree about the clouds....water is good as is the concept...are the islands giant fake stones?

Yeah, the islands are giant fake stones with displacements applied. I'm gonna go check out the cloud library and render this again maybe :D

dwilson

Great scene.  I like the colors in the clouds, but the texture is the issue.  Maybe decrease the density of the clouds and increase the edge sharpness as you have said.

Sp34k

ayyy the water' is pleasin' to me eye!
Learning history and science, wait,
Knowing that, will that put food on my plate?
Yeah, can I walk into McDonald's, into the counter,
And tell them you can make limestone from gunpowder,
Will they give me a cheeseburger if I know that shit?

deepdish

Quote from: Sp34k on June 20, 2009, 03:06:17 AM
ayyy the water' is pleasin' to me eye!

arr, she be a fine lass