Ventus (Neo Ventus on page 3)

Started by Seth, June 26, 2009, 01:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Seth, the fanlines happen on plane objects as well, I never use Lake objects for water.
As far as I know planes are not subdivided like the lake object is(it's just a disc, isn't it, without an inner radius setting? Not sure) this has been blamed for this problem before, it's not that that is making this happen, though.
The solution was supposed to be checking 'microvertex jittering' in the renderer. I don't see it helping. :(

This wee preview for one of my .tgd's uses a plane object for water... http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4922.msg69547#msg69547
See them at the top? I'll rerender this again with 'MVJ', I'm not sure I rerendered this one at all to check.
I've also had this happen in my grass surface, on terrain. I think I've got an example.(I'll move the contents of this post to another forum if I can round up the files...)

Seth

i never had this problem with grass !
and to be honest, i never had the time to check the MJV solution but Martin was pretty positive about the result.
and yes the water is a disc (with a "max radius" setting), and i always use it because usually i create a scene, shaders, atmo, and then i hunt down my pov.... and sometimes, the definitive pov is faaaar away from the point i created the all scene

Henry Blewer

I have been scaling down the size of the water disk. It takes less render time to cover just the visible area. I have not seen the corn row effect in some time. I use water alot.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

yes reducing water object radius is very good to reduce render time

Hetzen

I found that painting a mask where the land is, also cuts out a lot of unneccesary rendering too.

Seth

Quote from: Hetzen on June 26, 2009, 04:41:51 PM
I found that painting a mask where the land is, also cuts out a lot of unneccesary rendering too.

never tried... but that sounds logical... but i am not sure that it will not take me too much time to do it...
i mean, if i spent 1 hour to do some masking everywhere i want to reduce my render time about 1 hour... well i won't do it.
as i say very often, i am not a technician kind of guy, i use simple  techniques and try to fool people making them believe they see something that sometimes is not here... so masks are very good but i manage to do a lots of stuff without them (so far) even if they are absolutely necessary sometimes ;)

Hetzen

All true enough, but you could use a surface layer with minimum altitude set to 1m higher than your water level as a mask..... No painting then. :)

FrankB

Quote from: Hetzen on June 26, 2009, 04:55:23 PM
All true enough, but you could use a surface layer with minimum altitude set to 1m higher than your water level as a mask..... No painting then. :)

ingenious! Never occured to me before!

Hetzen

That's kind Frank. I think one of my prime motivations with this program is to find more efficient ways of achieving effects, so that animations don't run into the hours per frame, so that I can get TG into our workflow.

dandelO

Ha! This place is cooking with little Easter eggs recently! I always overcomplicate it!  :D

Seth

thanks for the tips ! ^^

MacGyver

Yeah, recently there are lot's of tips floating around here ;)
For me your LotsOfRocks looks like lots of roasted almonds ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Zairyn Arsyn

i like the rocks in the water, they look like they could be sharp and slippery. ;)
(I went river kayaking today, and there were rocks kind of like that there)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Matt

Seth, is Micro-vertex jitter enabled in your renderer? If it is, can you please send me the .tgd so I can find out why the lines are still showing?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Seth

No  Matt, it isn't.
I'll try to do this render again with MVJ enabled and I'll give the result right away.
thanks for jumping in !