Sunset Over Mountain ( 49:56:22)

Started by GxMew, June 26, 2009, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GxMew

this baby took 49 hours 56 minutes 22 seconds to complete...O_o"...please give me some criticism...http://gxnyu.deviantart.com/art/Mountain-Sunset-127324192
AMD Athlon 64 @1.6 GHZ

ATI Radeon X1250

Render Times = Days...And in some cases weeks o.o

goldfarb

49 hours is not acceptable for this image given the amount of detail...
was the terrain a hightfield or procedural?
was there any shading on the terrain?
GI?

this image is very pretty - but I'm sure it could be rendered is far less time, it would be interesting if you uploaded the file to find ways of optimizing it.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

tumasch

I think you could chop the right half of the image (and do the whole image in portrait format) as the picture does not necessarily need it. Too dark, doo dull in a way. The left half is very nice, though!
Décider c'est mourir un peu.

GxMew

So Ill Chop off the right half...and well I rendered it using max detail and max everything...and also im using a 1 core processor...and any other suggestions? here it is http://gxnyu.deviantart.com/art/Mountain-Sunset-Cropped-127326815
AMD Athlon 64 @1.6 GHZ

ATI Radeon X1250

domdib

Please take a look at the sticky note on render settings in the Discussion forum. Having everything at "max" is rarely a good idea.

GxMew

I know I had already known that...but I wanted to see how long it would take to render fully...btw how do you add objects???
AMD Athlon 64 @1.6 GHZ

ATI Radeon X1250

Hetzen

I know exactly where most of your render time went, I'd put money on it being the left hand side horizon down.

GxMew

probably lol...is the quality good enough??
AMD Athlon 64 @1.6 GHZ

ATI Radeon X1250

Hetzen

Too high. Have you played with the distance shader before? I'd try and split a duplicate of your lower cloud layer, where you keep the cloud quality high in the clouds nearer you, and drop it on the further back ones.

GxMew

AMD Athlon 64 @1.6 GHZ

ATI Radeon X1250