painted shader crashes TG, why?

Started by Dune, July 08, 2009, 03:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Is using the painted shader just fickle, or is it my Wacom pen or Windows? Many times, if I try to erase or paint on the painted shader, TG just vanishes into oblivion. Just like that, no error messages. So I am a bit reluctant to use it and always save prior to using it. But does anyone else have the same problem?
And is it normal to get these strange triangular white forms when painting?

---Dune

HarryHaller

yes sometimes with some high extent paint shader areas TG crashes without any message.

I have noticed also that sometimes TG is not able to reload a .tgd file in which painter shader parts have a lot of lines !

Jack

yup I get this when the realtime preview is at about 20 detail and the painted stroke touches a part of the sky.
Its best to save your work before you start painting and wait until at least detail 40 before refining your painted stroke ;)
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Zairyn Arsyn

I get this sometimes too, I've made it a habit to save on almost every paint stroke I make.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Seth

personnally, i click on terrain tab to avoid the atmo in render preview, i wait for the 100% details and then i pause the preview to work on painter shader. I don't know if that might help you

rcallicotte

I do what Seth explained.  This works well.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

I've never had any problem with the painted shader, I use lots of them. I also do the same as Seth. Works fine.

Oshyan

Painting onto the sky is a definite known issue at present. Very large TGD files resulting from stored painted shader data also sometimes do not load properly. We're working on both these issues. For now it's best to try to use as few strokes as possible, and although the "erase" function is provided, it should be used sparingly. It's great for a few touch-ups, but if you need to erase a lot of strokes, just start over if you can.

- Oshyan

Dune

dandelO

QuoteVery large TGD files resulting from stored painted shader data also sometimes do not load properly.

Oshyan, is this the reason that a painted shader that I have set up in my default opening scene doesn't let me paint... Until another painted shader is added?
I used to be able to just click the wee 'start painting' button and choose that default p/shader, now, if I click the button, my default p/shader doesn't appear. I have to choose 'create and paint new shader'. The default p/shader then becomes visible after that.
It's not a very large .tgd, though, I don't understand.

Oshyan

The behavior you describe is something I haven't run into yet. It might be worth sending us (or posting) the TGD if it's immediately reproducible.

- Oshyan

dandelO

Yes, OK. Here's my default startup .tgd attached. Happens everytime, I just never got around to mentioning it before.

You'll notice there is an existing painted shader in the group 'etc's'.
If I try and click on the paintbrush button, the only option I have is 'create new'. Once it's created, though, the first one is back in the list when you click the paintbrush button again...

EDITED: I've made sure that all nodes were captured inside their groups, I noticed in the .tgd in notepad that my default paint shader wasn't in its group. Fixed that now but it still happens. The new file is attached, everything seems set up correctly, it still doesn't find this shader though first time.

jo

Hi dandelO,

Just had a look at it and it seems to me that your paint shader isn't showing up in the menu when the file is loaded as a default file, but it does show up if you load a file normally. I'll look into it.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi dandelO,

Quote from: dandelO on July 10, 2009, 09:53:26 AM
Yes, OK. Here's my default startup .tgd attached. Happens everytime, I just never got around to mentioning it before.

You'll notice there is an existing painted shader in the group 'etc's'.
If I try and click on the paintbrush button, the only option I have is 'create new'. Once it's created, though, the first one is back in the list when you click the paintbrush button again...

The bug where painted shaders were not registered properly when loaded from default project files has been fixed for the next release.

Regards,

Jo