"new" principle for canyon mesas

Started by Tangled-Universe, July 27, 2009, 12:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 29, 2009, 03:45:05 PM
So here it is....no more fan-shaped displacements and more properly constricted and scaled sand. Though the ripples could still be a bit smaller imo.
I also tried an other atmosphere but I don't like it.
Further I added another strata-shader to the upper part of the mesa-structure.
If you compare this image with the previous one you can see this one gives a nicer layered style with some little breakups by a renewed voronoi-function.
The renewed voronoi-function is a blend of Frank's advanced cracks clip-file and the one I've been using for many months already.
You can find Frank's advanced cracks clip-file here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6432.msg67919#msg67919

I'm going to try to do some work on the talus and then I consider it almost finished. Suggestions are always welcome of course :)
Thanks for stopping by again!

Martin
This is looking very good Martin. I would suggest some slight color adjustment to the yellow color on the rock faces; probably darker and a bit less reflective. Try adding a tint of blue in your red/orange colors as well. The sand is also looking good as well - in the canyon and on the foreground.

CCC

Could you embed some stones inside the canyon walls by any chance? Some more color would work well but in harmony with the real thing.

Thelby

Looking very nice in this. The strata is really good.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: choronr on July 29, 2009, 06:16:15 PM
This is looking very good Martin. I would suggest some slight color adjustment to the yellow color on the rock faces; probably darker and a bit less reflective. Try adding a tint of blue in your red/orange colors as well. The sand is also looking good as well - in the canyon and on the foreground.

Quote from: CCC on July 29, 2009, 08:49:46 PM
Could you embed some stones inside the canyon walls by any chance? Some more color would work well but in harmony with the real thing.

Thanks you for the suggestions!

@Bob: I'll see what I can do about the yellows. It's probably the brightness which makes you think there's reflectivity, because there isn't. I certainly going to try to add some more blue in the red/orange. I'm a little bit color-blind so it's always useful to hear this kind of stuff.

@CCC: that doesn't sound too hard to do. What do you have in mind? Patches of rocks or complete (low) coverage? And which colors, darker or lighter?

Martin

CCC

Well, when ever there are canyon strata layers there are all sorts of rocks everywhere in many cases so what about both clusters and low coverage that tend to follow the strata lines if that is possible and i'd say both light and medium/light warm greys and sandy brown greys. Some faded red brown would look interesting. This looks like sandstone so i think those colors would look harmonious to the terrain itself.

Gannaingh

littlecannon

Martin, Anything you do with canyons is cool.... this is looking very nice. I think I can see an exploded stone on the foreground in the middle, right near the bottom of the image (splitting hairs here). How did you get the overhangs at the top? Was it a restricted Redirect with a Billow PF? The sand is looking superb now.
Cheers, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Darth and Simon :)

Quote from: littlecannon on July 30, 2009, 12:52:49 PM
Martin, Anything you do with canyons is cool.... this is looking very nice. I think I can see an exploded stone on the foreground in the middle, right near the bottom of the image (splitting hairs here). How did you get the overhangs at the top? Was it a restricted Redirect with a Billow PF? The sand is looking superb now.
Cheers, Simon.

Yes I saw the stone too...don't know what caused this. I think it's exactly the same thing Dune posted about in the general forum. Just bad luck I guess.
I guess you mean the overhangs at the top in the background? They are unintentional :) I indeed do use redirected powerfractals for creating overhangs.

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: CCC on July 30, 2009, 05:15:39 AM
Well, when ever there are canyon strata layers there are all sorts of rocks everywhere in many cases so what about both clusters and low coverage that tend to follow the strata lines if that is possible and i'd say both light and medium/light warm greys and sandy brown greys. Some faded red brown would look interesting. This looks like sandstone so i think those colors would look harmonious to the terrain itself.

I think I know what been refereed too here, do a Google search for "Rockfall" and have a look a what comes up on Google Images. Just a theory.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D   

Tangled-Universe

Thanks cyber, appreciate it.
I'll work more on this in the weekend, first have to finish other stuff.

In the meantime I perhaps could use some suggestions on how to make a river through these mesas.
I'd like to have a river which doesn't reach the talus but still has a bit of "beaches" (so, say a kind of offset from the talus).
Anybody a straight idea?

Martin

CCC

Rockfall, in other words talus build-up caused by thermal and fluvial erosion. What i was referring to is just the rocks embedded in the rock strata layers themselves. I think the talus itself would be more easy to achieve then the strata rocks but i could be wrong.

Is there a clamp node you can use (sorry, don't have TG open at the moment). Clamp the lower terrain for a lake shader for the river. Perhaps the clamp could be softened by another node, maybe smooth erode? That way the edges blend well into the dry terrain just before hitting the talus.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 31, 2009, 06:32:20 AM
Thanks cyber, appreciate it.
I'll work more on this in the weekend, first have to finish other stuff.

In the meantime I perhaps could use some suggestions on how to make a river through these mesas.
I'd like to have a river which doesn't reach the talus but still has a bit of "beaches" (so, say a kind of offset from the talus).
Anybody a straight idea?

Martin

I'm nowhere near as advanced as most of you, but just a thought here. Have you considered checking smooth shoreline in all your displacement settings including the fractal breakup shaders?  You can also adjust the smoothing altitude and amount there.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for your suggestion Jay.
I'm aware of it, but I never tried it seriously and will definitely look into this.

However, I already have flat surfaces between the mesas.
What I do not want is water up to the beginning of the talus.
So I'd like to make a sort of thin/small "ditch" exactly in the middle of the mesas. See what I mean?

Martin

Gannaingh

I suppose if it came down to it you could just paint your own ditch with a painted shader, (that's what I'm having to do in my most recent project) though at that point it sort of mucks up the spiffy procedural workflow.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: darthvader1 on July 31, 2009, 01:27:50 PM
I suppose if it came down to it you could just paint your own ditch with a painted shader, (that's what I'm having to do in my most recent project) though at that point it sort of mucks up the spiffy procedural workflow.

Indeed :) But ultimately, if I can't find a decent procedural way I must use the painted shader. Such is Terragen 2 life, sometimes :P