Upcomming animation model

Started by Hetzen, July 22, 2009, 08:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

As it has been talked about in some other threads, I wonder if Planetside could give us an idea of what they have in mind for the animation module.

One particular area would be really interesting, that being allowing parametres within nodes to be modulated. For example, being able to stick a Perlin noise into the cloud depth and an offset of that perlin value into the cloud altitude, to give us more variation in cloud heights, particualy usefull on a planetry scale. Is this something being thought about? Or is the new module more focussed on camera tracks and curve graphs?

PG

There are a lot of things that don't have animation features which really need them. For example colour. I wanted to animate a light changing colour, now I could fake it by having two lights of different colours and fading one in while fading the other out but for multiple light sources and other types of object or surface it's not suitable. I'm sure that colours are interpolated when animating something else but I can't remember what it is.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

jo

Hi PG,

Quote from: PG on July 22, 2009, 02:33:23 PM
There are a lot of things that don't have animation features which really need them. For example colour. I wanted to animate a light changing colour, now I could fake it by having two lights of different colours and fading one in while fading the other out but for multiple light sources and other types of object or surface it's not suitable. I'm sure that colours are interpolated when animating something else but I can't remember what it is.

Colours can be animated in the next release.

Regards,

Jo

PG

Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

Oh, this is good news.  Thanks Jo.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Quote from: Hetzen on July 22, 2009, 08:28:28 AM
As it has been talked about in some other threads, I wonder if Planetside could give us an idea of what they have in mind for the animation module.

One particular area would be really interesting, that being allowing parametres within nodes to be modulated. For example, being able to stick a Perlin noise into the cloud depth and an offset of that perlin value into the cloud altitude, to give us more variation in cloud heights, particualy usefull on a planetry scale. Is this something being thought about? Or is the new module more focussed on camera tracks and curve graphs?

We will be focusing on core functions and missing features, primarily a timeline editor and associated controls and functions. Making it possible to properly create as well as edit animations is the primary goal. Adding additional functionality like "driving" settings by an input function, for example, is further down the line.

- Oshyan

dwilson

Quote from: jo on July 22, 2009, 09:25:19 PM
Colours can be animated in the next release.

You can animate colours in the current release if you edit the tgd file.

ex.  within the planet_atmosphere element in the file, copy and paste this to animate the haze horizon colour:

<param name = "haze_horizon_colour"
   vf1 = "0.349999994 0.349999994 0.349999994"
   vf50 = "0.5 0.5 0.5"
/>