How to make Translucent leaves

Started by dhavalmistry, February 04, 2007, 09:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

I was wondering how do I make translucent leaves in my scene. I saw a thread here about it some while ago but cant find it now...if somebody could give me a solution.....that would be good.....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

It's really quite simple.  You simply go into the object's internal shader network and attach a lambert shader with transparency applied.  Go ahead and fool around with the amount of transparency, and eventually you'll get a pretty realistic effect.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

thanx but its not working....I am sure I am missing something....I am attaching my tgd and ya one more question....why is my grass white??

Samoth

your grass isnt white its the amount of grass.
you can see the ground(floor) trough it. if you download a grass texture and add it as floor texture it might solve your problem.

Mohawk20

And the reason the translucency isn't working, is because Old_Blaggard forgot to mention that the translucency shader has to be placed between the leaves shader and the multishader. If you input it into the leaves shader it doesn't work...
Howgh!

Walli

when using a default shader, then you have a slider called Translucency, just below color and luminous.
Perhaps this does solve your problem.

best,
Walli

dhavalmistry

guys....I am sorry if I am being pain in the a$$ but this isnt working....please tell me if I am doing something wrong...

Mohawk20

Ah, there's your problem right there... the leaves and lambert shader has to go in the shader inputs, not in the leftmost input node. So try the little input triangle next to the "input" node.
Howgh!

dhavalmistry

oh yes....thats what I was doing untill now and it wasnt working so I was trying to connect it through input node and see if it works....

Mohawk20

Just to be clear on this...

I don't know what the original connections of the bark and leaves are. The free XFrog trees had the bark on "shader 1"  and leaves on "shader 2", so I'll use that as reference here. What I did to get translucent leaves is this: Create a Lambert shader node. Link the output from the leaves node to the input of the Lambert shader. Link the output from the Lambert shader to the "shader 2" of the multishader.

In the settings window of the Lambert shader, set both colours, for difuse and for translucency tint to a reasonably bright green (a value of 0.7 or there about). Check "Tranlucent" and "Enable" and set the Translucent value to 0.5.

This should work.
If it doesn't, go to the settings of the leaves shader node and in the 'Colour' tab (the first one) set the Translucency value to 100.

That works. I tested several values, and a lot of people on the Ashundar forums have used it successfully.

Good Luck!
Howgh!