Always crashing

Started by whisperingcoldproductions, August 02, 2009, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whisperingcoldproductions

Terregen used to run just fine on my machine. But lately it crashes, seemingly at random. I don't get any messages or anything, it just closes, usually within the first 10 to 15 minutes of turning it on. Its really annoying, and I have not been able to complete a single project in weeks.
I run several other hardware demanding programs without problems (Cinema 4D, Adobe Premiere CS4, Poser Pro, etc)

My machine:

Windows XP Pro SP3
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (2.4Ghz)
3.5GB Mushkin Extreme RAM (PX2-6400 DDR2)
XFX Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX XXX (768MB DDR3)
ASUS P5N-E SLI NFORCE 650i

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Henry Blewer

Uninstall Terragen2. Then re-install it. I had some difficulty with the new xp service pack running an older version of Terragen 2. This should configure the program with the right 'libraries'. (Amiga term)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi,

What version of TG2 are you using?

Regards,

Jo

Quote from: njeneb on August 02, 2009, 11:16:23 PM
Uninstall Terragen2. Then re-install it. I had some difficulty with the new xp service pack running an older version of Terragen 2. This should configure the program with the right 'libraries'. (Amiga term)

This seems to have worked. I can't believe I didn't think to try it before. Thank you so much!

Quote from: whisperingcoldproductions on August 03, 2009, 03:55:06 PM
Quote from: njeneb on August 02, 2009, 11:16:23 PM

This seems to have worked. I can't believe I didn't think to try it before. Thank you so much!

AH! This worked for a couple days, but now a message pops up "Terragen 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close" then closes. It does this whenever I try to work with populations or a painted shader, the rest of the time everything functions properly.

I have v2.0.3.1

neuspadrin

Is it whenever you touch them at all? Or when you try to do certain special things?

Quote from: neuspadrin on August 04, 2009, 10:05:27 PM
Is it whenever you touch them at all? Or when you try to do certain special things?

It happens when I hit "populate now" and if I used a painted shader and need to retouch, when I press the "start painting shader - Painted shader #x" button. It works fine when I use a fresh painted shader.

From time to time it will happen when I play with an object's shaders also.

Oshyan

Do you have a lot of data in the painted shader? Are you attempting to paint on the sky? How large are your populations?

- Oshyan

Quote from: Oshyan on August 06, 2009, 02:49:08 AM
Do you have a lot of data in the painted shader? Are you attempting to paint on the sky? How large are your populations?

- Oshyan

I always start with plain, solid color shaders, in a relatively small area, and add fractals later (a point I haven't been able to reach yet). I use painted shaders to keep shaders small in size, instead of global. I have not been painting on the sky in this project. And since I use painted shaders a lot with my populations, they are also pretty small.

What really makes this so frustrating, is that am working on a very simple project, compared to my usual renders. I typically use 5 or more populations, and more shaders than I care to count, but in this case I have one population applied to a painted shader, two basic solid color shaders, and a small solid color painted shader. I haven't started on atmosphere or lighting yet.

I've attached a copy of the tgd-in-progress I was able to save just before it crashed.